Best Lake Trout Fishing in Georgia

j_seph

Where is the best places for catching lake trout from a boat at?
Is Burton still on the top of the list?

The mtn man

Burton or downstream lake would be my opinion. Or you can cross the state line and have more options

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, that's the truth. I'm headed to Snowbird this weekend, same way out there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

The mtn man

OT, but did they finish whatever they were doing up there? How'd the lake take it? Still fishing well?
Yes, but the bottom is nothing but thick tall grass, it's hard to fish unless your throwing a spinner or rapala.

Teh Wicked

Love me some trout fishing, still planning on making a trip myself to try and get a big one from a Lake, I will probably just try Burton, Seed or Raburn.

I know there are other places further north, maybe even Lake Dockey? (Spelling?)

whitetailfreak

Camping. We'll be there from Friday to Sunday.

I thought I was about to get checked on Snowbird back in May when approached by a Warden while dressing a limit of fish. He politely asked me to come upstream and dress my fish where he knew there to be a Hellbender and was doing a survey. He never once asked for a license or creel check, but I never did see that dang Salamander.

Coenen

Love me some trout fishing, still planning on making a trip myself to try and get a big one from a Lake, I will probably just try Burton, Seed or Raburn.

I know there are other places further north, maybe even Lake Dockey? (Spelling?)
Dockery isn't accessible by a big boat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I was about to get checked on Snowbird back in May when approached by a Warden while dressing a limit of fish. He politely asked me to come upstream and dress my fish where he knew there to be a Hellbender and was doing a survey. He never once asked for a license or creel check, but I never did see that dang Salamander.
I’ve seen more hellbenders in Snowbird than anywhere else I’ve ever been. Usually see a couple every time I fish there. I was spinner fishing a couple years ago catching a limit of doughbellies for camp supper and had them hanging off my belt on a stringer. A big hellbender came out from under a rock and followed me downstream for over a hundred yards trying to steal one of my fish.

Rabun

There are some trout in Seed and Rabun, but they are not stocked so they are far and few between. They still do stock Burton with trout, but it seems the population/catching of them is down in recent years...just anecdotal opinion, but Burton is probably your best option in GA. I would try downlining herring at the forebay of the dam early morning.

j_seph

There are some trout in Seed and Rabun, but they are not stocked so they are far and few between. They still do stock Burton with trout, but it seems the population/catching of them is down in recent years...just anecdotal opinion, but Burton is probably your best option in GA. I would try downlining herring at the forebay of the dam early morning.
That is game plan at moment, wish I could get the fella to answer his phone who had herring up there.

The mtn man

About a month ago I caught hatchery trout out of seed. Someone had to have stocked some. Unless they somehow got through Burton dam.

j_seph

They stock enough in Burton to maintain the population now is what Anthony told me today. Some where above 10,000