Best Lake Trout Fishing in Georgia

tree cutter 08

That explains why. They are stocking half of what they use to it i remember right. To me catching trout out of Burton is almost like walleye now. They are there but few and far between it seems.

Worley

I’d try Commerce watershed or Oconee either one for some lake trouts, me and TP used to kill em there

Rabun

About a month ago I caught hatchery trout out of seed. Someone had to have stocked some. Unless they somehow got through Burton dam.

I believe there are some trout streams that feed into Seed and with all that rain we had last month, I wonder if maybe some got washed in. They did have flood gates open on Burton too so it's possible that some flowed in that way too. I should say that to my knowledge, they don't stock trout in Seed or Rabun, but I have not actually asked DNR. j-seph...did you ask Anthony if they put any in Seed and Rabun...I'm curious now. I think I'll be dunking some minnows on Burton this weekend.

j_seph

I’d try Commerce watershed or Oconee either one for some lake trouts, me and TP used to kill em there
I caught my limit at Oconee, there were not any below 2 pounds and I am looking for those stocker size but don't wanna walk the creek banks with the snakes and ticks...............they skeerrr me.

j_seph

Seed and Rabun do not get stocked by DNR however he said that one gets trout from inflow that are stocked by GA Power and one gets them from some home owners that stock them

cumberland

Be prepared for tough fishing, if Burton is your trout fishing choice. Just not the same trout lake it was 3 or 4 years ago for whatever reason, who knows.

j_seph

Be prepared for tough fishing, if Burton is your trout fishing choice. Just not the same trout lake it was 3 or 4 years ago for whatever reason, who knows.
We caught 2 around 18 to 20 inches. Lost 2 or 3 then caught 3 spots 3 to 5 pounds.

Rabun

Was up this weekend, but primarily just trolled for bass...did pretty well. We did spend a couple hours downlining minnows and trolling with down riggers on Sat morning for trout, but had no takers. Spoke with a guy that caught a good size rainbow trolling earlier in the week...6lb range he said...so there are some in there. Kinda like the walleye analogy by Treecutter...far and few between I'm afraid.

j_seph

should have caught more but had some short strikes

Attachments

• 20180713_090515.jpg
    20180713_090515.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180713_091655.jpg
    20180713_091655.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180713_104317.jpg
    20180713_104317.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 60

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice fish!

ccbiggz

I'd heard of the Hellbender before, but after reading this post I Googled it to learn more about it. The Wiki article says they can grow up to 29". Has anybody ever seen one that big? I'd drop my fishing stuff and run if I saw that in a trout stream.

Both males and females grow to an adult length of 24 to 40 cm (9.4 to 15.7 in) from snout to vent, with a total length of 30 to 74 cm (12 to 29 in), making them the third-largest aquatic salamander species in the world (after the Chinese giant salamander and the Japanese giant salamander) and the largest amphibian in North America.[15] An adult weighs 1.5 to 2.5 kg (3.3 to 5.5 lb), making them the fourth heaviest living amphibian in the world after their Chinese and Japanese cousins and the goliath frog, while the largest cane toads may also weigh as much as a hellbender.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd heard of the Hellbender before, but after reading this post I Googled it to learn more about it. The Wiki article says they can grow up to 29". Has anybody ever seen one that big? I'd drop my fishing stuff and run if I saw that in a trout stream.

Both males and females grow to an adult length of 24 to 40 cm (9.4 to 15.7 in) from snout to vent, with a total length of 30 to 74 cm (12 to 29 in), making them the third-largest aquatic salamander species in the world (after the Chinese giant salamander and the Japanese giant salamander) and the largest amphibian in North America.[15] An adult weighs 1.5 to 2.5 kg (3.3 to 5.5 lb), making them the fourth heaviest living amphibian in the world after their Chinese and Japanese cousins and the goliath frog, while the largest cane toads may also weigh as much as a hellbender.
I’ve seen some that big, and likely some bigger. Don’t see as many as I used to, though.

Rabun

They stock enough in Burton to maintain the population now is what Anthony told me today. Some where above 10,000

I believe when they started the stocking program they were putting in 15k. Those numbers seem to build the fishery pretty well and there was plenty of catching to be had. The "catching" seems to be on the decrease, so I wonder if the trout have changed their habits a bit....I know I have not...still troll blueback imitations with not much luck. Going to try some different lures this weekend...more perch and threadfin imitations and see what happens.

ryanh487

Only one I've ever seen was in Suches, GA at a campground in a stream that feeds into Winfield Scott. I was rinsing a dinner plate and saw it in my headlamp. I was about 10 at the time and took off after it trying to grab it, had to be at least 2 feet long and I wanted it bad. Chased it 50 yards down stream in the dark before it made it under a big fallen tree that was half buried in sediment. Wish I could have gotten ahold of that thing!

Terribleted

Lake Trout Salvelinus namaycush do not range anywhere near Georgia. On the eastern 1/2 of the country their range pretty much stops at the great lakes. Am I to assume the OP was talking about trout fishing in Georgia lakes? This would be rainbows and browns mostly. I do not see any mention of Lake Trout in Burton or anywhere else in GA. A fishable Lake Trout population here would be interesting indeed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Lake Trout Salvelinus namaycush do not range anywhere near Georgia. On the eastern 1/2 of the country their range pretty much stops at the great lakes. Am I to assume the OP was talking about trout fishing in Georgia lakes? This would be rainbows and browns mostly. I do not see any mention of Lake Trout in Burton or anywhere else in GA. A fishable Lake Trout population here would be interesting indeed.
He's talking generically about trout living in lakes, not the species lake trout.

TN and VA have stocked the actual lake trout species in some of their mountain lakes, and they have apparently done well in a couple TN lakes.