Best Marlin 30-30 ammo for deer

cpayne32

Looking for a few opinions here. I just purchased a 30-30 marlin and was wondering the type ammo to purchase. I have never had any experience with the 30-30, so looking for some advice.:bounce:

BRYAN T

I HAVE KILLED MANY DEER WITH MY MARLIN 30-30 AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. ALL WITH REMINGTON Core-Lokt 150 GRAIN POINTED SOFT POINT.

P

potsticker

Looking for a few opinions here. I just purchased a 30-30 marlin and was wondering the type ammo to purchase. I have never had any experience with the 30-30, so looking for some advice.:bounce:
You have come to the right store. Ive hunted with a marlin 30-30 since 1962. I have put 1,000s of rounds thru one rifle and it still shoot a great group. Tons of ammo on the market ant they all do a great job. For me and my firearm, we like the remington core-loctin 150 grain. Winchester 150 gr. will work as well, i think its power point. I think whatever cal. you use 150 gr. is enough.:bounce::bounce::bounce::cool::biggrin2:

reelblue1

Banned
My personal favorite is any Hornady ammo. I think it is the best off the shelf ammo. I just recently bought some Hornady 30-30 150Grn Interlocks for mine. I think if you check the performance numbers,the hornady will outperform the rest, but I have killed quite a few deer thru the years, with winchesters or whatever walmart or some hardware store had. Good Luck.

bilgerat

Senior
I just bought and old marlin 30-30 off the swap n sell to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. I grew up hunting with one and took many deer with it. I like the Hornaday 170 grain , a little more knock down power and great for brush hunting.

cpayne32

This may be off the subject, but I am planning on not putting a scope on this gun due to the close range shots in my hunting area. Is this a bad idea? And I really appreciate the info on the ammo:)

P

potsticker

I just bought and old marlin 30-30 off the swap n sell to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. I grew up hunting with one and took many deer with it. I like the Hornaday 170 grain , a little more knock down power and great for brush hunting.
brush gun: easy to handle and great follow up shot.I agree the marlin is a great firearm for all hunting conditions but, a great brush gun to me is a ruger .44 mag, or my winchester mod.1100, with a mag full of 3" oo buckshot. I was never a buckshot fan until my friend from virginia came down and dispached a fine buck at 75 yards with that load. 4 pellets went completely throu the buck, one broke both shoulders. A firearm totally under used.:whip::whip::whip:

Doyle

Use the LeverEvolution and you'll never go back to roundnose again. With 150grn roundnose, I was sighted in dead on at 100yds. With the hotter 160 grn LeverEvolution, I was now almost 3" high at 100 and almost dead on at 200.

puredrenalin

I shoot a Win Model 94 AE (Angle Eject) Ive got a Bushnell 4x32 on it, I shoot the 170 gr Winchester bullets, havent had a deer go more than 80 yds when I hit em! I sight it in at 100 yds, about 1/2" high. Shoot a couple differnet bullets and see which one your gun likes and go with them. Good luck man!!

Daddyboy

Potsticker has me by God only knows how many years but hear is mine. Got it as a early Christmas present in '76 so's I'd have it when the season opened. I've hunted with it mostly since then except when I'd used stepdads 16 ga with slugs.
It has been a great rifle and has given me ABSOLUTELY no problems even when abused & the cleanings weren't done as often as should have been. A dependable rifle, the Marlin model 336 30-30.
I put a scope on it about five years ago cause I started hunting at a friends that has a couple fields 200 and 250 yards in length. I have had it (with the scope) zeroed to 175 yards cause my yard only had that much clearing. The raised scope (Simmons) with mounts also purchased at Walmart. The sling is a strap that was liberated from M16 extras in 1982. Just tied it on.

Attachments

• Marlin #1.jpg
    Marlin #1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Marlin #2.jpg
    Marlin #2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 950

Oldstick

I am not saying not to do it, because it works fine for a lot of folks and probably anyone could adjust to if they wanted to.

But before you go out and get some of those high, see-thru mounts, study those pics carefully. Notice where you eye has to be to see thru the scope then notice where most people are accustomed to having their cheek firmly planted (the stock) when shooting.

I vote for no scope on a 336 unless you know you will have some long shots or your eyesight requires it.

Daddyboy

I've had no problems with shooting from the scope or shooting under it. Well, that's not completely true. Getting use to these bifocals is changing a lot. Can't focus as quick going from scope to hard site. I still have refocusing issues. See it someone close by has a setup with the raised site and give it a try.

Dog Hunter

I would stay away from the silver tip bullets. I went with corelok for years and dropped many in their tracks or within eyesite on all. My mom shot silver tips and lost several bucks.

swamp

I killed my 10 pt with a 30-30 336 Marlin and was using the Remington Corelok. I used my see through mounts as i too have a scope. Did not need it the deer was about 30yds away. He ran about 70 yds and fell.

The Hornady LeverEvolution bullets turn the .30-30 into a long range gun. Not just a brush buster anymore, these bullets make the .30-30 accurate up to 300 yards!

Last edited:

David Pinner

i have been using one for a long time. i have used all kinds of different bullets and have lost a couple deer. the winchester 170 grain silver tips(not the balistic tips, these have a round silvertip and regular bronze shell) are, hands down the best there is. the coreloc are ok but, since using the silver tips, out of 20 deer, only 2 have run more than 10 yds. i have other guns but if i want to shoot a deer and drop it in its tracks, thats the go-to gun.

howie_r

Hornaday is what I use a little more expensive but accurate as heck.

merc123

I use 170gr winchester silvertips. I'm cheap and at $16/box I can't beat it, but I don't use my 30-30 for hunting myself.

Latest posts