Best method to cut openings in conex style container.

Lilly001

I have one of those metal shipping containers (40') that I want to cut openings for a door and window in the side of.
What is the best method?
I have a torch, a sawsall, and an angle grinder with cutoff wheels.
My son, who is a fair welder, will weld in the frame work, but he isn't available right now and I'd like to begin the prep work.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Just curious, what you gonna make out of it?

Lilly001

Just curious, what you gonna make out of it?
Utility/laundry/reloading/sewing room.
It's behind my cabin.
It was cheaper than adding a utility room.

Lilly001

It's about 15' from the cabin.
I plan to overroof it and extend the roof to the cabin over pavers.

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
Lay it out where you can make a lap weld with angle iron for the sides and channel iron for the top

Lilly001

Lay it out where you can make a lap weld with angle iron for the sides and channel iron for the top
I was thinking angle for all of it. What would be the advantage of channel on top?
It will be supported by the window or door frame also. And it's not load bearing.
Please educate me. I'm out of my element on this stuff.
Thanks.

turkeykirk

You could rent something like this at a local tool rental store. Would make quick work of cutting the opening.44582AA3-5A58-4183-80CE-1CE893FA4813.jpeg

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
I was thinking angle for all of it. What would be the advantage of channel on top?
It will be supported by the window or door frame also. And it's not load bearing.
Please educate me. I'm out of my element on this stuff.
Thanks.
If it's like mine the walls are sorta corrugated and the channel will cover the corrugations

Jim Baker

Staff member
Depending on the thickness of the material you can get toothed metal cutting blades for circular saw.

j_seph

Depending on the thickness of the material you can get toothed metal cutting blades for circular saw.
Tried this on some roofing tin with blade turned backward. It would work in a pinch but need good earplugs.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Tried this on some roofing tin with blade turned backward. It would work in a pinch but need good earplugs.

They make a blade just for metal. I have used one cutting corregated roofing metal.
I could cut 3 sheets at a time.

The backwards blade will work on one sheet at a time.

If he knows someone with a plasma cutter, that would be the trick.

Big7

The Oracle
Utility/laundry/reloading/sewing room.
It's behind my cabin.
It was cheaper than adding a utility room.

I was just getting ready to start a thread on how to find and buy one. How much does one cost?

Back to your question. A good way to cut openings is with a touch. If you run 4-5 psi acetylene with 40 psi oxygen, you can make some really nice cuts. Another, probably faster way is to rent a small plasma. They are really easy to learn and make really nice cuts. You can make a door face with some 2X2X1/4 angle iron. It's easy to do and like I said, I'm looking for one too. Let me know if you find another one. Thanks!

Lilly001

Upstate containers out of Savanna is where I got mine.
2550.00 delivered.
They have gone up from my last one, but they are still the cheapest I found.
They can modify if you wish, but it's cheaper to due it yourself.