Best pistol caliber choice

Best pistol 9mm or .40SW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MCBUCK

I have a G22 now and love this little gun. But I am wanting to get a companion carbine and really like the idea of having interchangeable mags with my handgun. The Ruger PC really caught my eye bu it only comes in a 9mm; I could get a Keltec SUB2000 in .40SW I suppose. But it seems that a lot of PD's are going back to 9's SO there is my quandary. 9mm or 40SW in a G17 or a G22?

(For what its worth, I will keep the G22 regardless.)

transfixer

I have liked the .40cal ever since it came out years ago, and the choice of ammo is good, anywhere from 135gr to 180 gr, I prefer the extra power.

LE departments are going back to 9mm I believe mainly because the FBI is going back, most departments seem to follow their lead, and the 9mm is easier to shoot, easier for individuals to qualify with, my oldest is with Cherokee co, and they have started switching over to 9mm , when he asked his superior when he was going to get his new service weapon, he was told it would be a while, they were going to issue them to new recruits and to those that had a hard time qualifying with the .40 cal first, then the rest would get them. I don't know if that was serious or not? but sorta makes sense, they will be using the 147gr hp as their issue ammo.

About to be a slew of G22 trade-ins on the market in the near future.

MCBUCK

I a just wondering because I want to add the carbine and I really really like the PC Carbine, but its in 9mm

transfixer

I a just wondering because I want to add the carbine and I really really like the PC Carbine, but its in 9mm

Ammo is cheaper for the 9mm, practice ammo anyway, so that would be a plus for the carbine if you're just going to use it for plinking, the 9mm is adequate obviously for self defense, especially with the assortment of ammo out there, its just a personal preference thing with me and most people, I don't have a problem being accurate with a .40 so I like the extra power, my ex didn't like the recoil on my G23 and could shoot her Beretta 9mil a lot better.

MCBUCK

I can shoot the eyes out of a fly at 15 yards with my G22. Most accurate pistol I have ever owned. I wish Ruger made the PC Carbine in 40sw then there would be no question. I travel a lot an the PC would be a great truck gun. Break that sucker down and stow that sucker under the back seat in a GHB

JohnK

9mm is more fun to shoot in sub compact handguns and cheaper. Inside 10 yards I'm confident the 9 will do just fine. There is a video somewhere of a guy shooting an lcp2 380 at a bag of oranges wrapped between two racks of beef ribs from 10 yards. All shots were pass throughs and broke the rib bones that were struck.

Reactions: Dub

jmoser

The advances in 9mm ammo have taken the shine off the .40.
Guns of any size will always have extra capacity with 9mm vs larger .40 cases as well.

I own a G22 and Sig P239 in .40 and will keep them but the 9mm is a wonderful cartridge.

I am itching to get my hands on the 9mm Ruger carbine, sold my Glock MechTech conversion but they are available in any caliber FYI.

Don't forget you can always buy a 9mm bbl; change the extractor in your G22 and have a G17 just like that.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I carry different guns at different times for ccw. They are either 9mm or 45acp.

The 9mm stay loaded d with Federal's 9BPLE load. (+P+ hollow points). My G43, G19, P938 & P226's shoot them very well.