Best Remington 870 Setup for Turkey

Doughdid

Well this is my first year really getting into turkey hunting. I have a brand new Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel and no extras. I have replaced the wood stock and fore-end with Remington Realtree Hardwoods Camo replacements. It has a modified choke and that is about it. I am trying to get everyone's opinions on what I should add to my gun to make it great for Turkey season. What chokes? Should I use a scope or sights? What are the must have accessories not just for my gun but for me as well? Any helpful hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

jnester

Well this is my first year really getting into turkey hunting. I have a brand new Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel and no extras. I have replaced the wood stock and fore-end with Remington Realtree Hardwoods Camo replacements. It has a modified choke and that is about it. I am trying to get everyone's opinions on what I should add to my gun to make it great for Turkey season. What chokes? Should I use a scope or sights? What are the must have accessories not just for my gun but for me as well? Any helpful hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hey man i have an 870 supermag with a 23" barell. Indian creek choke .665 and hevi 13 #6 should put u where u want to be. I have truglo sights on mine. oh yeah and maybe a limbsaver slip on recoil pad. Mine kicks like a mule.

typarker69

I got a 870 express also. I have a kick's .665 choke and tru-glow sights also like (jnester). I also put on the limb saver because I bird hunt with it also and when you get about 1 bird to every five shots :banginghe(no fault of the gun) your shoulder can get tired.

Good luck and you will like it.:banana:

hawglips

Banned
Get you a decent turkey choke in the .670 or so range and you'll have a great shooting turkey gun. (I wouldn't advise something .660 or tighter with a nice, long barrel like that.)

Trizey

Get you a decent turkey choke in the .670 or so range and you'll have a great shooting turkey gun. (I wouldn't advise something .660 or tighter with a nice, long barrel like that.)

I agree...both of my 870's shoot really good with Pure Gold chokes at .670

Hawken2222

I shoot a 870 special purpose mag. The choke that I found does the best with my gun, is aTRULGO Gobble stopper choke. I shoot 3 inch Federal flite control #6's. Good luck.

Booner Killa

I couldn't agree more with Hawglips. You don't need it much tighter than the .670. I have a 22" barrel in the 870 and I shoot a kicks .660 and it's just how I like it. I can reach out to 50 yds if I need to fairly easy. I love my shooter.

Al White

I shoot an 870 and use the plain jane full choke. It's good out to 45 yards, if you want it to shoot further i'd go with an aftermarket choke like a kicks or comp n choke.

ncturkey

I like Indian Creek .665 chokes in my Remington's. I also have a .670 Pure Gold and Kicks Gobblin Thunder .665

FLGobstopper

I'm having pretty good results with a Primos Jellyhead tube and Win Xtended Range 3" #6's. But a HS Undertaker tube with Win Hi-velocity 3" #6's will work great for a cheap combo. My 870 seems to like Winchester shells and #6's. Add a Claw sling and your good to go.

chase870

Possum Sox
Put it on paper try a few different chokes and loads if you can. My 870 super mag patters best with a remington extra full turkey choke and a 2 oz load of # 5 shot. took a few trys to get the combination worked out but its worth it

sman

I went through this last year and spent some cash trying to find the one I wanted. I ended up getting the XXX full choke that remington makes itself for around $20 bucks. Gave me exactly what I was looking for. However I did not try the Indian Creek or Pure Gold.

swashmore

Undertaker choke and Simmons 2X32 prodiamond scope - Take your time, put his head in the diamond, slowly squeeze the trigger and he's smoked!

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Undertaker Choke .665 and Winchester Extended Range #6's in 3 and a half Magnum. Killed one at 67 paces 2 years ago. That combonation is hard to beat. Also taken birds at 10, 15, 20, 30, 35, and 45 paces as well. Missed at 5.;) Good Luck, Tim

FireStrut

Banned
In my 870, I have the Indian Creek Choke, Hevi 13 3.5 inch, 2.25 oz, number five. This combo does a good job.

Handgunner

I'm shooting an 870 that's been Gun-Docc'ed up...

26" barrel, Primo's Jellyhead .660 choke, shooting 3.5" Nitro ... in 4x5x7.5... 2.25oz...

It's deadly.