Best Snake Boots

Danykulf

I tried many options, I can tell you something. Each individual taste and needs, I think you need to read about hunting boots when you decide on the option for yourself. They will be reliable and practical

chrislibby88

Just purchased me a pair of Irish setters , only worn around yard a few times but think I’m gonna really like them !
I’ve got Irish Setters too. A little stiff at first, and **** those things are hot, but after a few weeks of turkey season they broke in nicely. The first week was tough on my ankles, but that’s a snake boot for you. I can vouch for them being 100% water proof. I’ve been through several creeks and nothing leaked. However, your legs and feet will sometimes stil be drenched from sweat.

chrislibby88

I need waterproof snake boots, haven’t had any mentioned that last a turkey season yet without wet feet, excluding Chippewahs. The ONLY pair I had that lasted was the Danner Sharptails. They just recently started back production on these and I just bought a pair. Hoping they last 5 years like the last pair I had.

Now let me clarify “waterproof” I’m not referring to crossing a creek or stepping in a mud puddle. I’m referring to walking a couple miles through dew covered grass every day of the season and keeping my feet dry. Irish Setters didn’t even make it an entire season, lol. 3 weeks and wet feet!!
Are you sure it wasn’t sweat? They don’t breath at all, and even on dry days my lower legs and feet would be wet with sweat.
My Irish Setters kept the water out fine. I did notice some running in from the tops when I would get caught out in the rain, but it never made it down more than 5 or 6 inches.

Mark K

Banned
Are you sure it wasn’t sweat? They don’t breath at all, and even on dry days my lower legs and feet would be wet with sweat.
My Irish Setters kept the water out fine. I did notice some running in from the tops when I would get caught out in the rain, but it never made it down more than 5 or 6 inches.
Pretty sure at 40° and 200 yards through the Kansas prairie was dew. If my feet sweat that bad I’d have some serious issues.

jlt4800

I just wish Danner still made the pronghorn that laced up with no zipper....didnt like the feel of ones that zip personally.

cr00241

I have rubber slip on muck boots for turkey season, Lacrosse insulated boots for colder weather.

jlt4800

I’m going on my 13th year with the older model of the Danner Pronghorn snakeboots which I prefer over the new ones. I also have another pair I got cheap once these wear out.
I wish I could find a pair of the older pronghorns that lace up not zip.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
are any of the above guaranteed and tested?

The only ones I`ve ever seen that had a true guarantee were the Continental Tyrolean snake boots. I bought a pair back in the early 1970s, filled out the paperwork, sent it in, and hunted down a rattlesnake to test em out. They did as advertised, and so have every pair of Chippewas I`ve owned since the Tyroleans.

I don`t know if Continental Tyroleans is still in the snake boot business or not.

Bubba_1122

Have had several pairs over the years. Wore a pair of Brownings for years. Guess they had legal issues at some point. I wore them out a couple of years ago and tried to buy another pair. Couldn't find, and called Browning. Rep told me they don't sell snakeboots anymore - they sell "tall grass boots".

I don't want a pair of lace up boots at my age and size. Can't hold my breath long enough to get em laced up. Would turn blue and fall out before I got them tied.

Currently have 2 pair of snake boots. A pair of Cabela's zip ups that are very comfortable. Also have a pair of Chippewa (zip up the back). I know they're supposed to be the best, but they're the most uncomfortable pair of boots I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

If you go to the company's website, most all will tell you they are not not gaurenteed snake proof. I know Lacrosse says that. They sure make you feel a lot better in the woods tho.

Gut_Pile

Big Chippewa fan here. On year 4 with mine and zero complaints