best squirrel rifle

amoore28

Thanks guys for all the advice. Ill put it to good use. Im really wanting to get one pretty quick but i still got a new rifle a havent even brought in the house yet. My wife always seems to be around when i want to bring it in haha.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
GT, that is one sharpe looking set-up. I drool everytime I see it. Ronny

Thanks Ronny. I went crazy with all the money I spent, but you only live once.

gt40

PS: You can get a KIDD trigger KIT for $105 and a Bushnell RIMFIRE 3-12x40mm scope for $129.79 from Optics Planet and spend a lot less then I did. Both are well worth the investment and still use your factory stock. My trigger is 2.5 pound pull instead of the 7 pound factory. The scope has a life time warranty like Vortex.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.14.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.14.28 PM.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.16.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.16.44 PM.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,400
Last edited:

Mark R

As a 22 cal / rim-fire nut that i am, it is hard to beat a Winchester bolt M69/M69a with a peep sight. Another fav of mine is a Lever action Marlin M39(heavy though but Shoots short, long and LR). Feels good in the hands. The last new 22 i purchased was a CZ USA 455 fs with full stock(mannlicher stock). Shoots great with adj trig, changeable barrel Out of the 30 or so 22's they are the ones that get used the most.
And yes i have a few 10/22's and browning autos but they just don't do it for me anymore. I like the old school feel and look. Shoots better also!

Go to a gun show and find a deal on an older 22 that looks and feels good in your hands. Pawnshop also.

I would like to have a marlin 39 . They hard to find . Marlin website says they still makin them but dealers say not . Used ones going up in price .

rwh

I'll say a Henry lever action. The .22WMR is an extra $100 or so.

The 10/22 ain't what it used to be. Mine is a dog, it shoots 3" groups at 30 yards. From what I can tell, I am expected to sink another $250 into building a decent rifle around that action.

stop filling up on that scotch before you target practice and see if it tightens up any.

nickel back

what has happen to the kid in us all, I can remember taking out a
many squirrels with my pellet gun, now they make some awesome
pellet .177 caliber airguns.....just a thought

tdw3684

Air rifles are fun but I typically use my T/C G2 Contender in rifle form. The CZ 453 American is really good too.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
winchester model 75

Winchester Model 75

I have two model 75s,but only one bolt assembly. You wouldn't know where I can find one do you? They are incredibly accurate rifles.

dawgvet

I bought a CZ 452 last year and couldn't be happier. If you can scratch up the little bit of extra money, you won't be sorry with a CZ, especially a 452. Of the others out there, the Ruger American Rimfire bolt-action is a really good gun and Ruger has great customer support.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just read that Rem-DriLube is better than the graphite for lubricating the 10/22.

gt40

PS: I am definitely going to try this before the graphite.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 11.11.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 11.11.32 PM.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 644

greg_n_clayton

Savage B series. Hands down the best deal out there.

I waited to comment. I just sighted in the Savage B22 V (heavy barrel). Not much of a fan of the Tupperware stock, but the thing shoots better than a can at 50yds. Like I said somewhere else, I put the Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9X40 on it. It is the rifle I will be shooting this year.

amoore28

Yeah im retty excited bout getting of the squirrels when it cools down just a little more. Got the itch to get a new rifle bad. Thanks everybody for all the advice. Ill say that the heavy barrell savage looks pretty good. May have to try them out

greg_n_clayton

Yeah im retty excited bout getting of the squirrels when it cools down just a little more. Got the itch to get a new rifle bad. Thanks everybody for all the advice. Ill say that the heavy barrell savage looks pretty good. May have to try them out

Don't know where Ashburn, Ga is at, but tell ya what. I too like to look and feel them before I buy. I bought the B22 sight unseen other than internet pictures and reviews. If you want to come up this way, you are more than welcome to shoot this one. Jigman, if we tear him away from his busy schedule, he has a bunch of rimfires. I am sure he would let ya look and feel what he has.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'll say a Henry lever action. The .22WMR is an extra $100 or so.

The 10/22 ain't what it used to be. Mine is a dog, it shoots 3" groups at 30 yards. From what I can tell, I am expected to sink another $250 into building a decent rifle around that action.

Are you sure the problem isn't your trigger finger? ::ke:

gt40

PS: May the screw that holds the action to the stock is lose or to tight?

Also they don't shoot high velocity bullets very well. Shoot ones that don't go over 1200 FPS.

Last edited:

hambone76

Savage 24 over/under in .22/.410
It's nice to have the .410 barrel for when they're on the move.

rwh

i got myself a new one this year. cz 455 with the short threaded barrel. i ran 36 rounds through it one day last week. walked it in where i wanted it with 5 then punched a about a nickel sized hole through the target with the next 30 then head shot a squirrel later that afternoon. from what i've read they actually get tighter after you shoot them some. the best .22 i've ever owned for sure.