Best thing to plant on sandy soils - South GA

Luv2Bowhnt

Hey guys,
What are your recommendations to plant on sandy soil? We are in the process of buying this place so I have not taken any soil samples yet but its pretty sandy in spots. Just wondering what would be the best thing(s) to plant later this fall. We don't close until late September so I want to be ready to go when it's all finalized. Thanks!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
In the future plant water oak acorns deep! They grow BIG Fast and do well in clay or sand if deep enough to support the weight years later.
Just know they get BIG.

Dbender

Wheat or rye will work fine. Just go heavy on the fert. You could send a sample in now if you have time just to see where its at.

Luv2Bowhnt

Got on the property today. Shouldve pulled some soil samples then. Will try and get back this week if I can. What about oats? Clover? Thanks for the advice on wheat/rye.

Stetson

What county we talking?

Dbender

Oats are fine too. I'm not a big fan of clover on sandy soil. Wheat and rye are usually cheaper than oats.

Stetson

If you're in a sandy-well drained area that doesn't hold soil moisture well, I would forget oats, as they have the least root system of the cereal grains. ( therfore they're the least drought tolerant too )

I'd opt put for wheat or tritacale, drop my seeding rate back by 1/3 to prevent overcrowding, and stage my fertilizer applications into thirds, so you won't burn the roots off between rains.

Soil test and lime are first. Without the right PH. You're doomed to a sub par plot. Period.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If you're in a sandy-well drained area that doesn't hold soil moisture well, I would forget oats, as they have the least root system of the cereal grains. ( therfore they're the least drought tolerant too )

I'd opt put for wheat or tritacale, drop my seeding rate back by 1/3 to prevent overcrowding, and stage my fertilizer applications into thirds, so you won't burn the roots off between rains.

Soil test and lime are first. Without the right PH. You're doomed to a sub par plot. Period.

This man knows what he's talking about. Listen to him.

Dbender

Im going to go exact opposite. Deep sand and poor soil is something i have plenty of. I wouldn't worry about the lime right now won't do you any good this year. Id plant extra heavy and fert extra heavy you'll be happy with the results. broadcast 700- 900 acre 10/10/10 and prob 300 lbs seed/ acre i guarantee youll have a thick plot the deer will hammer. Unless of course you get a sample done. I don't care what your ph is, if you follow this you will have a successful plot.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Without knowing the lime/fert requirements,I would plant winter wheat and crimson clover.Add 300 lb of 13 13 13.You will save money by getting the soil test.Then you can work on getting the soil correct for next year..
Deer will eat the most nutritional food source available.

Long Cut

I’d opt to do No-Till or spray & broadcast seed, instead of tilling up the soil bed. By developing a humus rich top layer, you’ll retain moisture A LOT better. Plus developing a quality soil bed over time..

Look up Dr. Grant Wood’s, Growing Deer TV on YouTube, he has extensive videos on no till or “Buffalo System” food plot management.

deerbuster

I'm guessing your pH will be in the high 5's, as some of these guys have stated above I'd go with wheat and cereal rye. I'm not sure I'd turn the soil, possible spray and broadcast prior to rain or drill if you have the resource to do it. In the spring is when you should really look to plant a diversity of species to help build the precious OM.

Check out the guys over at Land & Legacy and see what they have to say about food plot diversity. My fall plots are going to have a minimum of 6 species this year!

Ready to see this place Bert

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV

^^^^^ Good advice.
Key words, soil test and fast lime, prolly gonna need some pot ash too. You can put all the fertilizer you want on it, it will not react properly without the PH being right. My back field looks like Daytona Beach and have been planting it for 33 yrs.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Im going to go exact opposite. Deep sand and poor soil is something i have plenty of. I wouldn't worry about the lime right now won't do you any good this year. Id plant extra heavy and fert extra heavy you'll be happy with the results. broadcast 700- 900 acre 10/10/10 and prob 300 lbs seed/ acre i guarantee youll have a thick plot the deer will hammer. Unless of course you get a sample done. I don't care what your ph is, if you follow this you will have a successful plot.

I respectfully disagree, I've done it both ways. Washington County.

Latest posts