Best thing to plant on sandy soils - South GA

Long Cut

Im going to go exact opposite. Deep sand and poor soil is something i have plenty of. I wouldn't worry about the lime right now won't do you any good this year. Id plant extra heavy and fert extra heavy you'll be happy with the results. broadcast 700- 900 acre 10/10/10 and prob 300 lbs seed/ acre i guarantee youll have a thick plot the deer will hammer. Unless of course you get a sample done. I don't care what your ph is, if you follow this you will have a successful plot.

I guess you’re unaware of Liebig’s Law of Minimums.

If you’re confident in that system go for it, but you will grow healthier plots for a lot less money by managing the PH, annual soil tests and no-till planting.

Dbender

I agree the healthiest/wisest way to plant is to obtain a soil sample first and amend as recommended. The O.P. won't even close on this property until the last of September. He will probably plant this year before the sample even comes back! There is no magical product he can use to improve his ph by the time he plants this year. I am well aware of the law of minimums. I suggested the rates I did to compensate for the unknown (in this case) "minimum" nutrient. In the O.P.'s situation, I offered my opinion on the simplest, most reliable method including seed and fert rates to establish a successful food plot for this season. I place very little value in Youtube videos from the midwest and farming seed rate charts geared towards maximum yield.

shdw633

chicory, crimson clover, wheat and yucci arrowleaf clover. throw n mow with no spraying of herbicides.

I would change out the chicory with abruzzi rye, as I have not had any success with chicory in my sandy soil and I think crimson clover is over rated and would go with a Balansa clover as it has a deeper root system and will survive drier times. When you plant I would put down a good amount of dolomite fast acting lime along with it and would fertilizer like Stetson stated.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Probably at this late stage, his best/cheapest route is to put out a coupla feeders.

roscoe54

I would change out the chicory with abruzzi rye, as I have not had any success with chicory in my sandy soil and I think crimson clover is over rated and would go with a Balansa clover as it has a deeper root system and will survive drier times. When you plant I would put down a good amount of dolomite fast acting lime along with it and would fertilizer like Stetson stated.
I agree with you Bill my chicory came up never saw were they ate it same with the crimson clover.

SRShunter

I saw somewhere else on google where a guy swears by Australian winter peas in sandy soils

Said the deer love them too

across the river

I saw somewhere else on google where a guy swears by Australian winter peas in sandy soils

Said the deer love them too

They will grow fine in sandy soil, but like iron clay peas, you have to either keep them fenced for a while, or plant enough acreage that they can't destroy them early. We planted them, but quit after a couple of years and just reverted everything back to wheat, as others have recommended already.

Ihunt

I agree the healthiest/wisest way to plant is to obtain a soil sample first and amend as recommended. The O.P. won't even close on this property until the last of September. He will probably plant this year before the sample even comes back! There is no magical product he can use to improve his ph by the time he plants this year. I am well aware of the law of minimums. I suggested the rates I did to compensate for the unknown (in this case) "minimum" nutrient. In the O.P.'s situation, I offered my opinion on the simplest, most reliable method including seed and fert rates to establish a successful food plot for this season. I place very little value in Youtube videos from the midwest and farming seed rate charts geared towards maximum yield.

The liquid lime will do it but doesn’t last.

CNC

Cereal rye is one of the best options on sandy soil. Overall goal should be to build topsoil and preserve it through some type of no-till planting method.

Also, I read on one these threads where several folks thought crimson clover was overrated. I might have agreed with you until what I saw last year. I sowed about an acre in pure crimson right behind my house....I'm talking like 30 yards out my back door. This area is lit up by a street light at night and what I saw was eye opening. If you just walked out there and looked at the field you would have thought it was struggling and not being utilized. The clover was super short and it was almost impossible to see where they had browsed it. However, if you walked out on my back deck after dark you would have seen the true story. Deer piled in 14-15 deep eating on it all night long throughout the whole winter. It looked like it did due to such intense browsing pressure. I would watch them in the afternoons filter through the cereal grain field in the back of my property slowly working their way to the clover field to feed once it got dark. It seemed like they preferred it since they would walk right through the more secure isolated location in order to feed right in my back door.