Best WMA in Georgia for Hog Hunting

Slugslinger

Call for help to my fellow hog hunting brothers on GON Forum.
For the past two years I've taken my daughter hunting at Berry College's child deer hunt. My plans have been messed up by work and other commitments. Needless to say, my daughter is disappointed. I'm thinking a good alternative would be a spot and stalk hog hunt on a WMA during small game season. I don't have a boat so Sapelo is out of the question. Which WMA will give me the best chance for success? Any suggestions with some tips where to begin would be greatly appreciated as the only WMA I've hunted is Allatoona, Berry College and Pine Log since moving to Georgia. I'm willing to drive anywhere in Georgia so my baby girl has a chance at her first pig.

So far I've read Chickasawatchee and Ft Stewart were good. Are they the best? PM me if you prefer.

Thank you,
Rick

Bama B

We will be going after the hogs after deer season so I will let you know whats we find. Maybe can either meet you or at least tell you were we are finding them.

95g atl

FT Stewart. All the hogs and deer you want. Hands down

I keep hearing that.

We will be going after the hogs after deer season so I will let you know whats we find. Maybe can either meet you or at least tell you were we are finding them.

:pop: Hmmmmmm.

Thanks for sharing the intel SakoL61R. I've read alot of good things about Ft Stewart.

The biggest issue I find with Ft Stewart (well, two issues for me).
1. it is pretty far from metro ATL
2. One is REQUIRED to make the drive there and apply for the permit IN PERSON. You are NOT permitted to hunt at that time. Once you do that, you are allowed to "register" your weapon(s). Serial #'s, make, model, blood type....etc. I believe you do that online, so a 2nd trip is not required. :)

Once I dedicate a FULL day to drive down there and take care of the red tape, I will probably speak highly of Ft Stewart. ;)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I keep hearing that.

:pop: Hmmmmmm.

The biggest issue I find with Ft Stewart (well, two issues for me).
1. it is pretty far from metro ATL
2. One is REQUIRED to make the drive there and apply for the permit IN PERSON. You are NOT permitted to hunt at that time. Once you do that, you are allowed to "register" your weapon(s). Serial #'s, make, model, blood type....etc. I believe you do that online, so a 2nd trip is not required. :)

Once I dedicate a FULL day to drive down there and take care of the red tape, I will probably speak highly of Ft Stewart. ;)

This^^^^I have not been there and I am sure it would be worth it(the legallities) if you wanted to make that drive a few times, but its NOT on my bucket list...........

You asked about WMAs...........you can just go there and HUNT Any of them........if furbearer hunting is allowed(its NOT at Pinelog), you can take your AR or whatever you kids favorite rifle is too:clap: You'll be hunting furbearers and hoping for an "Incidental Take" of a Hog or three:D

I would say you have already done some homework as you mentioned Chickasawhatchee. I too would have high hopes going there. Anything South of ATL would be easier walking than say Pinelog or Cohutta as well. BUT, there are LOTS of BIG hogs at Cohutta.........AND Most importantly, It is MUST SEE WMA!
After a good snow, like this weekend, it will be one of the most beautiful places in GA, Bet on it!

You want to go after a hog, go South, camp and you will have a good shot at getting one! I also like anything near the Altamaha River. Dont be afraid to call the local DNR office and ask about hog sightings.

Check the regs for the WMA(s) you will consider as they different slightly enough.......Also take the shotguns!! If you start seeing a bunch of Doves, you may want to change your hunt all together and go after them instead. Keeping a Slug(furbearer gun) in the pocket in case Porky shows up:D

I am excited to see how this turns out so keep us posted!!

j_seph

Oaky Woods, Tuckahoe, Warwoman (North), Chattahoochee (North) Redlands

riverbank

Redlands has tons of hogs on some parts of it. Particularly the archery only section along the river. If they haven't fixed it by now take a look at the poles along that power line. There whittled down and flat covered in mud. The bottom of every pole holds water and is covered in tracks because of the hog traffic. It is archery only though.

Bama B

First of all its not a big hassle to hunt Stewart. There are some great guys that travel hear from all over the country to hunt Stewart. Gun registration print document online bring with you. Pass and permit office opens 7.30 am registration takes ten minutes. If bow hunting Bow qualification 30 more minutes they do it there at pass and permit. They will direct you to permit office to register weapon. an hour. 930 am in woods hunting.

95g atl

First of all its not a big hassle to hunt Stewart. There are some great guys that travel hear from all over the country to hunt Stewart. Gun registration print document online bring with you. Pass and permit office opens 7.30 am registration takes ten minutes. If bow hunting Bow qualification 30 more minutes they do it there at pass and permit. They will direct you to permit office to register weapon. an hour. 930 am in woods hunting.

Thanks for the info. I will have to call them again.
They told me I could NOT hunt the same day.

Bama B

Ga hunting licence, hunter safety card and 75 bucks to register. I would assume you will be making weekend trip. So leave weapon at hotel or campground. Drive on post to pass and permit register. they will direct you to weapons registration. If you are staying savannah 45 drive onto base. Richmond hill 30 min. drive hinesville 15 drive. The start hunting. This base is huge. PM me if need more info.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If I could go before deer season during small game season or During archery season to Horse creek or Bever dam I'm pretty sure I could kill a hog or 2 ! Good luck !!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Slugs are not allowed on WMAs during small game season.

So you cant hunt furbearers with slugs? My bad.......I thought it said .17 cal centerfire and larger was good to go for FURBEARER Hunting.

I just checked the regs again and it doesn't say anything about slugs that I could find.

I would hate to give bad advise and want to be legal when I am in the woods. I See NOTHING about NOT using slugs for furbearer hunting. Can you show me where you got that from?:huh:

j_seph

All I see says Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length
with No. 2 or smaller shot.

Does not say no slugs but it does not say you can

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
So you cant hunt furbearers with slugs? My bad.......I thought it said .17 cal centerfire and larger was good to go for FURBEARER Hunting.

I just checked the regs again and it doesn't say anything about slugs that I could find.

I would hate to give bad advise and want to be legal when I am in the woods. I See NOTHING about NOT using slugs for furbearer hunting. Can you show me where you got that from?:huh:

The only additional weapons you can use for bobcat and fox is .17 or larger centerfire weapons. After that everything else reverts back to the rules for small game weapons. For shotguns you can only use #2 shot or smaller except on deer or special hog hunts where you can use slugs.

Last edited: