Best WMA in Georgia for Hog Hunting

95g atl

Indeed, y'all are correct about the weapons on WMA's during small game....rimfire, shotgun #2 and smaller, ----oh I believe muzzleloader are acceptable.

The slug thing......? Yeah, not during small game/turkey on WMA's. ADMIN: that part should be removed so folks don't get confused.

Now, FT Stewart weapon requirements are different than WMA's. I suggest before going, look them up.

=========================

I have a good friend of mine that said he would drive down to Ft Stewart w/me to apply for their license. 4.5 hours each way alone can get mighty boring.....
Hence, if that goes through, I will be kindly asking where the hogs have been spotted.

As I understand Ft Stewart is so huge, that it would be nearly impossible to cover all the ground by the average hunter in their lifetime. ;)

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Indeed, y'all are correct about the weapons on WMA's during small game....rimfire, shotgun #2 and smaller, ----oh I believe muzzleloader are acceptable.

Actually you use can also use your favorite deer rifle as well during small game dates IF that particular WMA has a furbearer season. The legislature changed the rules several years ago to allow fox and bobcat to be taken with .17 or larger centerfire rifles. :crazy: So from Dec 1 - Feb 28 you can carry a centerfire rifle for "bobcat and fox".

Personally, I'd like to see the rule allowing centerfire rifles for bobcat and foxes dropped on WMA's.

95g atl

Actually you use can also use your favorite deer rifle as well during small game dates IF that particular WMA has a furbearer season. The legislature changed the rules several years ago to allow fox and bobcat to be taken with .17 or larger centerfire rifles. :crazy: So from Dec 1 - Feb 28 you can carry a centerfire rifle for "bobcat and fox".

Personally, I'd like to see the rule allowing centerfire rifles for bobcat and foxes dropped on WMA's.

gotcha....
confusing....some WMA's are different than others.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Looking at firearm restrictions again, it does indicate that shotguns loaded with Slugs are acceptable Deer firearms.

That part is divided/separate from the Centerfire rifle part.
I "Thought" a shotgun with a slug would be considered or identified as a centerfire rifle.

While it does not specifically say it is not, I suppose it should be determined not to be..............

Killinstuff

It takes me 17 hours of straight driving to get to Glenville from Traverse City Michigan. Glenville to just north of Atlanta is just under 4 hours on an early Sunday morning. Guys that like to hunt don't complain about the drive or inconvenience of hunting on Base. We just go and have a good time. I'll be there the 21st but for only 3 days, driving up from Boca after some meeting for work. That's only a 6 hour drive which is no big deal and I'll be hunting sun up to sun down!

95g atl

It takes me 17 hours of straight driving to get to Glenville from Traverse City Michigan. Glenville to just north of Atlanta is just under 4 hours on an early Sunday morning. Guys that like to hunt don't complain about the drive or inconvenience of hunting on Base. We just go and have a good time. I'll be there the 21st but for only 3 days, driving up from Boca after some meeting for work. That's only a 6 hour drive which is no big deal and I'll be hunting sun up to sun down!

While I agree with what you are saying, not all of us have the flexibility to be away for more than a day or two at most.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
While I agree with what you are saying, not all of us have the flexibility to be away for more than a day or two at most.

X2 I am lucky to get 4-6 hours a day when I do go...........I relish every moment of it. My weekends are consumed by my 13yo and travel baseball and I'd have it no other way.........Shoot, the only reason I dont go to Cohutta is because its well over an hour drive :biggrin2:

Still say Cohutta is Must see WMA!:cool:

95g atl

X2 I am lucky to get 4-6 hours a day when I do go...........I relish every moment of it. My weekends are consumed by my 13yo and travel baseball and I'd have it no other way.........Shoot, the only reason I dont go to Cohutta is because its well over an hour drive :biggrin2:

Still say Cohutta is Must see WMA!:cool:

Yes indeed.
I'm a single dad. Have my boy 90% of the time, if not more. I don't complain one bit. He is six now. There will be a time I can bring him to Ft Stewart---if I did it now, I would be carrying him halfway through, or hunting for only two hours.

The only additional weapons you can use for bobcat and fox is .17 or larger centerfire weapons. After that everything else reverts back to the rules for small game weapons. For shotguns you can only use #2 shot or smaller except on deer or special hog hunts where you can use slugs.
I have called the Dnr and asked and you can use a slug for small game ie hogs

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
I have called the Dnr and asked and you can use a slug for small game ie hogs

Even on private property a slug is not legal for small game. Good luck if you are caught.

SMALL GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS • Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles. • Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.

elmer_fudd

Redlands has tons of hogs on some parts of it. Particularly the archery only section along the river. If they haven't fixed it by now take a look at the poles along that power line. There whittled down and flat covered in mud. The bottom of every pole holds water and is covered in tracks because of the hog traffic. It is archery only though.
I could be wrong, but I believe it is archery only during deer season. I think you can use firearms during small game season.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Looking at firearm restrictions again, it does indicate that shotguns loaded with Slugs are acceptable Deer firearms.

That part is divided/separate from the Centerfire rifle part.
I "Thought" a shotgun with a slug would be considered or identified as a centerfire rifle.

While it does not specifically say it is not, I suppose it should be determined not to be..............

a shotgun with a slug isn't considered a centerfire rifle

Be aware if you are reading this, Ft. Stewart will no longer register guns same day. 72 hours once they receive your form. You have to go on post during business hours to pick it up and they close for holidays I have never heard of. Don't want anyone to be disappointed thinking they can come down on a Saturday and get it all done. When you come remember to have Id for everyone with you and an insurance card for the car you are driving or they won't let you on post. It's worth the hassle, but it is a hassle. Every time I do it, something new goes wrong. Last time I went the computer/camera at the gate wasn't working so they wouldn't let me in.

Last edited:
Even on private property a slug is not legal for small game. Good luck if you are caught.

SMALL GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS • Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles. • Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.

Slugs are for hogs I’m sorry not small game. I asked if I could use my 12ga with my slug barrel he said yes. And I have been checked 2 times at oaky woods.
I could be wrong, but I believe it is archery only during deer season. I think you can use firearms during small game season.

chrislibby88

We have a butt ton of them on Ocmulgee and Oaky Woods. I hunt hem with a .22 mag during small game season.

175FO

Be aware if you are reading this, Ft. Stewart will no longer register guns same day. 72 hours once they receive your form. You have to go on post during business hours to pick it up and they close for holidays I have never heard of. Don't want anyone to be disappointed thinking they can come down on a Saturday and get it all done. When you come remember to have Id for everyone with you and an insurance card for the car you are driving or they won't let you on post. It's worth the hassle, but it is a hassle. Every time I do it, something new goes wrong. Last time I went the computer/camera at the gate wasn't working so they wouldn't let me in.

You can register your firearms on Ft. Stewart online now. You still have to pick up your registration in person though which is weekdays only at the MP Station just inside the Hinesville gate. I believe during small game season Ft. Stewart allows big game weapons for Hogs in areas west of GA HWY 119 (D,E, & F zones).

I have not hunted those zones recently, but will be during the small game season. I'll try to post some updates on what I see.

Tugboat1

Regarding your question, I know Beaverdam is crawling with hogs. The northern boundary bordering the Big Sandy flood plain/thicket and the clear cut/ thicket down by the boat ramp hold a bunch. Hard to spot and stalk those areas but finding a spot with sign on the transition zone could be a choice. Wandering the big river bottoms with the wind in your face is good. The challenge is many hogs go nocturnal, so early and late increases your odds.