Best/worst bbq in georgia!?!?

TJay

This is the absolute truth. I tried 2 Brothers one day after doing some work at a nearby hunting property. The BBQ is just plain awful unless you like dry, roasted, tasteless pork. I'm not even sure that they have a pit on site as I've never seen smoke coming from the building. The shocking thing is that it was pretty packed when I was there. Most everyone was over the age of 80 but I was amazed that these folks would continue to eat there.

Also right on Bigguns. Place is great and everything I've ever had there was top notch.
It's been years since I was in Two Brothers but my thoughts on it are about the same as everyone else. Tasted like it was cooked in an oven.
And I totally agree with LonePine about Big 'uns, great place to get some 'que!

SWAMPFOX

I'm partial to K&L or is it K&N in Baxley. It's in the permanent portable building behind the Burger King. Outdoor eat area under the tin roof.

DannyW

Tried a new one yesterday...Jim's Smoking Que in Blairsville. Rode by there and saw a line at the door at 11:00 AM and figured it must be good.

Had pulled pork, potato salad and Brunswick stew. The pork was good, not the best ever, but good. Plenty of burnt ends. And they must give you a full pound...I couldn't eat all of it. Huge portion. The potato salad was very good. Excellent really. None of it went to waste.

But the Brunswick stew was horrible. I had one bite, and then a second just to confirm it was the worst I have ever eaten. And that's saying something. It tasted like pure tomato sauce with a few bits and pieces of meat and other unidentifiable things mixed in. Can't believe anyone would find that tasty...I'm amazed it stays on the menu.

Prices were BBQ prices which is to say fairly high for a lunch. My meal was $13 with a glass of very good sweet tea.

I might go back if I am in the area but I would not drive far to get there. And there is no way I would get the Brunswick stew again.

tr21

Tried a new one yesterday...Jim's Smoking Que in Blairsville. Rode by there and saw a line at the door at 11:00 AM and figured it must be good.

Had pulled pork, potato salad and Brunswick stew. The pork was good, not the best ever, but good. Plenty of burnt ends. And they must give you a full pound...I couldn't eat all of it. Huge portion. The potato salad was very good. Excellent really. None of it went to waste.

But the Brunswick stew was horrible. I had one bite, and then a second just to confirm it was the worst I have ever eaten. And that's saying something. It tasted like pure tomato sauce with a few bits and pieces of meat and other unidentifiable things mixed in. Can't believe anyone would find that tasty...I'm amazed it stays on the menu.

Prices were BBQ prices which is to say fairly high for a lunch. My meal was $13 with a glass of very good sweet tea.

I might go back if I am in the area but I would not drive far to get there. And there is no way I would get the Brunswick stew again.
I live not too far from it and had heard on here and in town how great it was. but it was closed everytime we would go there, for some reason or another. well last fall my brother and I finally went there and it was open, as we were walking in some people walking out said how great it was. I was drooling thinking about some good bbq and stew, we ordered and waited. then it came I had brisket I think and brother had pork. after our 1st bite we looked at each other then tried the stew (the bbq was nasty, but the stew MY GOD THEY MUST OF TAKEN A COW PATTIE FROM THE PASTURE, ADDED SOME TOMATOE SAUCE AND LOTS OF LIQUID SMOKE AND WARMED IT UP). I have eaten lots of bbq have tried most places on blue ridge area DANNY try blue ridge bbq, its one of the better in town, or if you are heading down hwy515 go to bigun's bbq between Ellijay and jasper it is the best. oh forgot about carroll's (fairly new, only open thurs., fri. and sat.)in blue ridge it's fairly new and i'll give it a thumb's up, might even rate it better than blue ridge bbq (open every day except Monday)

Tom W.

Sometime last week or so I went to get some BBQ from Country's and I thought that they had to go find and kill a pig.. when I finally got it it was pretty bad. The manager apologized for the extra long wait and gave me a $20 credit for the next time we came in.

Well, that was today and I enjoyed the meal as did Lori.

There are several good BBQ places near our home, and every now and then there are issues, although I'm not too awful picky about the places we regularly frequent. There is a new one on 14th Street that we went to once........That was enough for me.

Kev

Sometime last week or so I went to get some BBQ from Country's and I thought that they had to go find and kill a pig.. when I finally got it it was pretty bad. The manager apologized for the extra long wait and gave me a $20 credit for the next time we came in.

Well, that was today and I enjoyed the meal as did Lori.

There are several good BBQ places near our home, and every now and then there are issues, although I'm not too awful picky about the places we regularly frequent. There is a new one on 14th Street that we went to once........That was enough for me.
Best
Holcomb’s in white plains
Straws in sparta
Crowe’s in madison

I'm surprised Fox Bro's in ATL hasn't been mentioned multiple times in this thread! Their brisket is the best I've ever eaten. Another good one is Sandfly BBQ in Savannah. Great pit smoked q and very juicy.

Juan De

Southern Soul on St Simons is pretty good. Boneyards bbq in Soperton is as well. the Best I have had was at a place in Jenna La on a duck hunting trip to lake catahoula.

BigDogDaddy

Top of my list:
Striplings General Store - Watkinsville
Southern Soul - St Simons
Hudson's - Douglasville
Fresh Air - Jackson
Oinkers - Tallulah Falls

DannyW

Top of my list:
Striplings General Store - Watkinsville
Southern Soul - St Simons
Hudson's - Douglasville
Fresh Air - Jackson
Oinkers - Tallulah Falls

I think Oinkers BBQ is decent, but their Brunswick stew is maybe the best I have had other than my own ;). Several times I have stopped and gotten a large stew to have by itself, with crackers, for dinner.

Not surprising the differences of opinion on BBQ. Someone above rated Praise the Lard in Buford as the best, I like it okay but a BBQ-loving friend of mine will not even eat there...says it's too greasy.

Will have to try Striplings near Watkinsville...I'm in the area a lot but never been in the store and didn't even know they served BBQ.

Doe Dirt

If you guys like real Texas style brisket I can tell you the top 3 places in Atlanta.
Loyal-Q and Brew in Alpharetta.
4-Rivers smoke house on Marietta St.
DAS BBQ on Coiler rd.
You will never be disappointed with any of these places on brisket, ribs or pulled pork. I eat at one of them at least once a week. All 3 are proud of their bbq $$$, but it’s worth it.

Tom W.

Anybody tried the BBQ at the Whistle Stop Cafe?.... I've had the catfish sandwich, but not the BBQ yet.....