Big Bird Down + Last Day Success

Ocmulgee44

That sounds like a pretty heart pumping morning, Gator89. Congrats!
Just for comparison here is one I found sleeping on my tailgate in south central Georgia opening morning. :)

And a different view.

Attachments

• PXL_20240330_135918725.jpg
    PXL_20240330_135918725.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240330_125034680.jpg
    PXL_20240330_125034680.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 14

Gator89

Hunted Saturday and was close to a good bird, but he would not leave the live hens and come into range. So I moved my blind to set up for a Sunday morning last chance hunt.

My last day plan was to mostly sit and wait in an area the turkeys like to travel. Got in my blind about 620, skeeters were thick. Turned the thermacell on and waited. 0700 comes and all is quiet. 710 a hen goes by in a hurry to be somewhere. About 720 a hen and two jakes come in feeding around. Finally at 730 I hear a gobble, a good ways off to the east. Bird was fired up and gobbling his head off, but not moving.

About 0800 a bird gobbles behind me and sounds like he is no more than 50 yards. This bird gobbles his head off for a few minutes but sounds like he is going away. The bird to the east had finally flown down and was gobbling on the move, but still out of sight deep in some woods. Then a hen or two start clucking and cackling. So I just sit still and quiet. A few minutes later the bird behind me gobbles and is close. A few minutes pass and I catch a glimpse of a red head passing by from behind out the right side window. Bird goes behind a tree and I get my gun setup. Bird gobbles again steps out in a strut as he enters the field. Bird stopped and stuck his head up to survey the field and I delivered a load of #9 TSS to his noggin.

Last edited: