Big Cat

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Had A Friend Call me one time and say I just got a 40 LB bobcat. I said I doubt that but bring him by and we can weight it since I had a set of accurate scales. It weighted 23 lbs. Big Cat no doubt. I would Love to see a 35 lb. cat

Here you go. My Granddaddy in the early 1960`s.100_3852.JPG100_3854.JPG

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Had A Friend Call me one time and say I just got a 40 LB bobcat. I said I doubt that but bring him by and we can weight it since I had a set of accurate scales. It weighted 23 lbs. Big Cat no doubt. I would Love to see a 35 lb. cat
I killed one about thirty years ago that weighed 36. Got a really good price for that hide. I've seen a few that were bigger than that, one considerably bigger.

I used to shoot and trap a lot of them. We used to hunt them with hounds, and call them with predator calls, as well as trapping, so I've seen a lot of dead bobcats. Most of them (adults,) around here average in the 18-25 range, but I know of one killed near here that was just a couple pounds short of 50 on a certified scale. I've probably seen a couple hundred bobcats over the years, but the biggest one I've ever seen was down on the SC/GA line a few years ago. I was sitting in a deer stand, and I thought it was a yearling doe coming when I first saw it. It's been many years since I've killed a bobcat. I'd rather watch them now.

Worlldbeater

Great pic Nic of your granddad and the huge bobcat. Thanks for sharing it. I have trapped many when fur prices were up and still call them when predator calls but hardly ever shoot them anymore. The biggest one I ever killed was way back while I was still in high school. In the Altamaha river swamp dogging deer the hounds ran one to me that I later weighed on my grandfathers cotton scales. t was a 26 pounds. I would still love to see a 35 lb. in the wild.

rosewood

I've probably seen a couple hundred bobcats over the years, but the biggest one I've ever seen was down on the SC/GA line a few years ago. I was sitting in a deer stand, and I thought it was a yearling doe coming when I first saw it. It's been many years since I've killed a bobcat. I'd rather watch them now.

Now you know that was a panther.....

are you sure it wasn't black?

rosewood

I have found whether it is deer or hogs, most folks always overestimate what they weigh. The scales prove a lot of folks wrong.

Saw a hoss of a deer at a meat cooler a few years back. Biggest deer I ever seen in person. Folks were standing around guessing what it weighed, 275, 300, 295, etc. Put it on scale, 229.

Lots of folks will brag about the weight of a deer they shot, I always ask if they put it on the scale, usually they haven't.

Rosewood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have found whether it is deer or hogs, most folks always overestimate what they weigh. The scales prove a lot of folks wrong.

Saw a hoss of a deer at a meat cooler a few years back. Biggest deer I ever seen in person. Folks were standing around guessing what it weighed, 275, 300, 295, etc. Put it on scale, 229.

Lots of folks will brag about the weight of a deer they shot, I always ask if they put it on the scale, usually they haven't.

Rosewood
What I have noticed from a lot of standing around the scales in a skinning shed is that almost everybody thinks a deer weighs more than it actually does, and most folks guess a hog to weigh less than it actually does.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great pic Nic of your granddad and the huge bobcat. Thanks for sharing it. I have trapped many when fur prices were up and still call them when predator calls but hardly ever shoot them anymore. The biggest one I ever killed was way back while I was still in high school. In the Altamaha river swamp dogging deer the hounds ran one to me that I later weighed on my grandfathers cotton scales. t was a 26 pounds. I would still love to see a 35 lb. in the wild.
I think they vary in size depending on where they're at, too. The ones here in the mountains seem bigger on average than the ones I see in the Piedmont, I think.