Big cook coming up on Saturday

GA1dad

My daughter's Bat Mitzvah is Saturday and I just couldn't bring myself to hire a caterer. So I'm whipping up grilled chicken tacos for 175 folks on a 5 foot long charcoal grill. I'm using 2.5 tacos per person as reference. Looks like I'm gonna come in at just under $600.00 or $3.42 per person.

110 lbs. boneless skinless thighs,, seasoned, grilled, then chopped fine with a cleaver
525 flour tortillas
20 lbs. tomatos,,, diced
8 lbs. vidalia onions,,, diced
22 lbs. sour cream
14 lbs. shredded lettuce
18 lbs. shredded cheese
24 cans refried beans ( doctored up some )
buttload of spanish rice
15 lbs. quacamole
16 lbs. tortilla chips
3 #10 cans nacho cheese
20 gallons sweet tea
2 cases bottled water
2 case gatorade
I'm sure I'm forgetting something,,,

And then on the 18th I get to cater a BBQ spread for my Son's wedding down in Gray GA. Luckily that one is only for 40 folks.

20180801_165734.jpg20180801_165756.jpggrill.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You done went and done it. :)
:cheers:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Man alive, that is a mess of food! Looking forward to more pics!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Dub

Lawd have mercy thats a major responsibility

I think you have the skills to nail it down tight, though.

Dub

Unless you have cooked for a life changing event like this or a wedding you have no idea the stress that goes with it. Good luck.

I'll bet you are right on point with that observation.

I'm also betting that JD has been hired out to cook in some similar situations for other folks.......still is stressful when it's his time at bat.....but at least he's been there/done that/has the T-shirt and will prevail.

GA1dad

Lawd have mercy thats a major responsibility

No doubt,, I'm scared to death I'm gonna screw it up somehow. But I've applied the K.I.S.S. approach to the whole thing. Cooking competitions introduced me to cooking bulk, but I'm gravitating towards doing some vending and catering in the near future, so these two cooks will give me a chance to get my feet wet and some exposure to possible clientele. My wife is the Jewish one, and there will be lots of folks at the Bat Mitzvah who will (A)- be planning their own kids Bat or Bar Mitzvah or (B)- being a lot of Doctors and such might be interested in having some catering done. In fact, I have already been approached about cooking 35 briskets for one of their annual dinners at the Temple. Evidently their normal guy can't do it anymore. 35 briskets!!?? Let that one sink in for a minute. I haven't committed to it,,, but I have ordered a new wood over gas cooker that should be completed by mid-August ( more on that coming soon )

GA1dad

I'll bet you are right on point with that observation.

I'm also betting that JD has been hired out to cook in some similar situations for other folks.......still is stressful when it's his time at bat.....but at least he's been there/done that/has the T-shirt and will prevail.

Hannuka dinner for 30, does that count?

Reactions: Dub

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
The chopping and dicing alone will be a serious time commitment.

Dub

I'm still stammering over the request for 35 briskets.

I can get one smoked....sometimes.....35 ??? :oops: Wow.

It got me thinking about how many I could actually cook at one time here if I was pressed to do so. I could possibly get 3-4 in the WSM, 3 in the Big Joe and one in the 22" kettle. Could probably get 3-4 in the Smokewagon.

I could probably do 12 at once....running 4 different grills. :rofl:

I'd be a nervous wreck and sipping strong java :coffee: the whole time.

I do have a big cook coming up on Monday.....for 35 people. I'm keeping it really simple....pulled pork. It's in my wheelhouse and I most assuredly adhere to K.I.S.S. method......from the rubs to the sauce....can do it in my sleep.

That being said....pork shoulder butts give me a wider margin of error on cruising temps and won't take as long as briskets tend to take me. Initial trim work is easier as well as the final prep.....just pull out the bones and trim/scrape off remaining exterior fat and use the butt wrecker on my cordless drill to shred 'em up in seconds.....finishing sauce and then pack it up.

GA1dad

I do have a big cook coming up on Monday.....for 35 people. I'm keeping it really simple....pulled pork. It's in my wheelhouse and I most assuredly adhere to K.I.S.S. method......from the rubs to the sauce....can do it in my sleep.

Pics or it didn't happen!! LOL,, I know you are like me and will take a picture of a half eaten tuna sammich if it looks purty.

Yep, when my son asked for pulled pork it was a relief,,, easy peasy, tender and greasy!! My only pinch will be time. Gonna need to get up and started awful early Saturday morning to insure any delays can be worked around if they come up. And being 3.5 hours away I won't have my normal resolution resources if I need them.

Along with the pork I'm doing a few half chickens, mac-n-cheese, baked beans, sweet potato crunch, slaw, potato salad.

I thought their invitation was cool. I've been walking around saying ( I Do "The" BBQ ). Names blocked to protect the innocent.

invite.jpg

Duff

Goodness gracious! Good luck with it!!!

Dub

Pics or it didn't happen!! LOL,, I know you are like me and will take a picture of a half eaten tuna sammich if it looks purty.

Yep, when my son asked for pulled pork it was a relief,,, easy peasy, tender and greasy!! My only pinch will be time. Gonna need to get up and started awful early Saturday morning to insure any delays can be worked around if they come up. And being 3.5 hours away I won't have my normal resolution resources if I need them.

Along with the pork I'm doing a few half chickens, mac-n-cheese, baked beans, sweet potato crunch, slaw, potato salad.

I thought their invitation was cool. I've been walking around saying ( I Do "The" BBQ ). Names blocked to protect the innocent.

View attachment 938615

Very cool lookin invitation !!!!

You'll nail it down proper for them, I'm sure.

Lindseys Grandpa

I am cooking for my God-daughters wedding Labor day weekend just outside Memphis and already have a level of stress. Got to cook here transport there warm it , teach servers how I want it served to control portions and attend the ceremony. I have never attempted anything like this so it will be interesting.

Dub

I am cooking for my God-daughters wedding Labor day weekend just outside Memphis and already have a level of stress. Got to cook here transport there warm it , teach servers how I want it served to control portions and attend the ceremony. I have never attempted anything like this so it will be interesting.

That's gonna be a bigtime job right there.

What are you planning on cooking ?

GA1dad

Got to cook here transport there warm it ,

I thought about pre-cooking everything and driving down with it in the Cambro's. However, I figure I'll get to use the stick-burner as a reason to stay outside and not get caught up in drama.

Sounds like you get a firm grip on it.