Big Haul

Killer Kyle

Earlier this year, a co-worker of mine expressed an interest in getting into foraging mushrooms as he likes to eat them and wanted to learn to find his own. He asked me to go morel hunting with him, but that ship had sailed as the time was already past for them...and I never really find them anyway. We went once in a recently burned over area, but to no avail. I told him that I'd be keeping my eyes peeled for the chants and would take him along when the time was right.
I took him to an area last Tuesday in the mountains of White County which is usually a good producer for me. I had missed the first flush there earlier this year, but was able to get my co-worker on the shrooms in the best way. I let him pick the majority, and I just picked onsies-and-twosies here and there as I have already picked, eaten, and put back a ton of these this year. I am nearly set for the rest of the year until next year's chants.
I brought my fish scale with me, and we ended up picking 27 lbs of chanterelles. That's a lot of dang mushrooms! It was a great day, and it was fun to teach and get another enthusiast started in the right way! Y'all have fun out there and be safe. Watch out for ol' no-shoulders!

fuoxht.jpg

23ru5tv.jpg

21ott6o.jpg

Big shout-out to my great friend and fellow forum member FMBear. I went to visit him recently, and to make a trade. I brought him some top-water poppers to use for stripers, and he gave me some various cuts of wild venison and pork in return. I was able to put together some chanterelle, cheddar, and wild hog breakfast sausage omelets, and they were fantastic! Thanks a lot FM Bear!

25s95ky.jpg

FMBear

Now that is a harvest of proper proportion! Congrats!!

And glad you enjoyed...you put together a fine dish there!

Killer Kyle

Brother.. That's the best chant harvest I've ever seen! Way to go!

Thanks so much man! The really crazy thing was that we only picked maybe 25% of what we saw. I had been in there days earlier and picked a couple shopping bags full. He was having trouble finding free time to go because of his newborn, and I really wanted him to see what a proper motherload looks like. I told him, "you will never ever see this many Chanterelles in any one place again in your life". Since I had to wait so long for him to be able to join me, about 3/4 of the chants were past good when we hit them on Tuesday evening. I made him agree to only come pick there with me in subsequent years, and I told him that if he ever mentioned that place to anybody, I'd carve him up like a Christmas ham.
he said "Wow! There must be a more be more Chanterelles here than anywhere else in the NF". I said "yep, and it'd better stay that way!"

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I'd say you are set! And then the real work began when you took'em home. I checked my spots Saturday and they hadn't had any rain and there weren't any around. Wanted to get a stash for my visiting son. Looking for rain. Gil

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, what a haul! The only time I've ever picked them like that was down on the SC/GA line a few years ago after two weeks of rain. They were everywhere in huge patches. Never saw even a fraction of that many since then.

We found a good many while we were camping this weekend and fried some up in camp.