Big woods turkeys being stubborn.

LongDraw38

Hey guys,
Been in the action since the beginning of the season. Striking up a bunch of gobblers, going back and forth with hens. The nine yards. Only problem im having is that it seems that when i have one that gets to that "double gobble" excitement level. Ive always heard shut up and they will just come to you or if you call and they dont call back then get ready. Well, it seems everytime i do either. They hangup way out 100 or so (estimating). Im not sure what i might be doing wrong.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Lots of hens here right now.

You ever try back up 50 yds, call and slip back in 30 yds? Sometimes it works.

You hunt afternoons and evenings? May try that, especially if they're in the same area.

LongDraw38

Typical scenario is. Ill strike pretty far off and they will come into about 100 is what im guessing from it sounds give or take and they won't come further than that. Im guessing either they get intercepted by a real hen or they feel uneasy because they cant the hen calling to them. But i havent tried that technique before. Never hunted in the afternoon or evenings either.

Hillbilly stalker

If you’re using a mouth call or pot, try turning it so it throws the sound behind you. Don’t call as loud and try scratching leaves. Another option is to take someone with you and have them hang back about 40 yards and call. Patience and location kills turkeys.

crucible02

I killed one Friday that wouldn’t commit. I got up and walked behind the tree and gave a series of excited cuts on my glass call. Fired him up and I killed him within 15 minutes. If they think you’ll come to them, they will hang up a lot. The excited cutting (from what I’ve been told) tells a gobbler, “I’m ready to breed and you better get over here now!”

Also sometimes they just kick your tail no matter what you do. I would just say, don’t be afraid to change up your tactics and calling.