Bill would give veterans free lifetime license

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Paid for my life time license a few years back.
Figures the state will make them free now.

ngadeerhunter1969

All for it! :cool::cool::cool: I dont care if they are lifers or have only been in 4 years and are done. They put their life on the line so we can do what love to do. Give these people their free hunting license!

Well...

If they are not already 65 those folks are close. I am a young Vietnam Vet and I am 65.

I was in Vietnam from November 66 thru November 67 and was on active duty in the United States Navy for 3 years, 9 months, and 11 days. I made E-5 in about 2.5 years and turned down an offer to go to Officer Candidate School.

Mr. MudDucker indicated that my service would not qualify. Okay-fine.....and his advice would be only those in a War Theater would qualify.

Well-Vietnam and Korea were not declared war's-as are many of the things we have been involved in more recently.

Each time we took fire in Vietnam and each time a Soviet Ship came alongside after Vietnam-my life and the life of all those around me were certainly at risk.....

To be excluded would be ludicrous-I was respectfully seeking some comment from Mr. MudDucker who is a moderator.

I am soon to be 71 years old and have had a free license now for several years.

I did not ask for it-but I am not going to turn down something free that is of any usefulness or is to my advantage to accept it.

In my opinion-it is ridiculous to offer free hunting licenses to anyone-regardless of their circumstance or what they have done to "Earn It".

But.....as I stated....I won't turn it down when:eek:ffered !

Politics is an amazing thing !:huh:facepalm::love::flag:

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Yeah, and serving in the military cost many their lives, limbs, health, marriages, and more. The country and every one of us who live in it owes them for our liberty to hunt and fish, a free license is the least they could do.
^^^This^^^
I'm not arguing for or against the bill.

But it is going to cost the DNR revenue.
If the State would keep it's grubby hands out of the General Funds allocated for hunting and fishing management it wouldn't be an issue in this State. ;)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was in Vietnam from November 66 thru November 67 and was on active duty in the United States Navy for 3 years, 9 months, and 11 days. I made E-5 in about 2.5 years and turned down an offer to go to Officer Candidate School.

Mr. MudDucker indicated that my service would not qualify. Okay-fine.....and his advice would be only those in a War Theater would qualify.

Well-Vietnam and Korea were not declared war's-as are many of the things we have been involved in more recently.

Each time we took fire in Vietnam and each time a Soviet Ship came alongside after Vietnam-my life and the life of all those around me were certainly at risk.....

To be excluded would be ludicrous-I was respectfully seeking some comment from Mr. MudDucker who is a moderator.

I did not ask for it-but I am not going to turn down something free that is of any usefulness or is to my advantage to accept it.

In my opinion-it is ridiculous to offer free hunting licenses to anyone-regardless of their circumstance or what they have done to "Earn It".

Mr Mudducker has not been online since you asked your question to him, so why don`t you just settle down and wait, rather than imply something. I`m sure as soon as he gets back here and sees this, he will gladly answer your question.

Rest assured that he is not avoiding you.

12 Ring

I have a better Idea Vets get a free license and all those military age 18-32 who have never served pay double. that will more then make up the difference. Don't like it enlist!!!!

First off. Thank you for your service! I was in Nam in 1971 until late 1972. I also spent 2 years in the Second Infantry division on the Korean DMZ before I ever made it to Vietnam. I also spent time in Panama and Grenada. My only point was that most of the Vietnam Vets and Korea Vets are past the age where they need a Free License.
I myself came to Georgia in 1978 and claimed Georgia as my home of record in 1979. I have bought a Georgia hunting license every year and I have paid my Georgia state tax since 1979. Never ask for anything free. All opinions are welcome. Doesn't matter if you served or not.
Again Thank you for your service.

lampern

One quick question: How does issuing free licenses affect the state getting Federal excise tax monies?

One quick question: How does issuing free licenses affect the state getting Federal excise tax monies?

I attended a DNR meeting on this last summer at Red Top Mountain (Georgia) and was told that if a fee was not charged-Georgia got zero revenue.

However - if a fee is charged-then the State of Georgia gets a "Multiple" of that fee. (I won't state what I recall the "Multiple" to be but....I thought it to be relatively significant....

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Thanks for your sacrifice!

And I don't think Mud was saying it on those terms..

a military term for an area where an armed conflict takes place

MudDucker

Staff member
Mr. MudDucker---Was Vietnam and Korea "War's" ?

Just respectfully asking for your opinion.:huh:

Yes.

No, I didn't say that, but you seem to want to pick a fight with your own assumptions about what I said.

If there is shooting, it should qualify. Vietnam and Korea were both wars, whether declared or not.

Here is a definition of a theater of war:

Theater of war - In warfare, a theater or theatre (see spelling differences) is an area or place in which important military events occur or are progressing. A theater can include the entirety of the air space, land and sea area that is or that may potentially become involved in war operations.

cowhornedspike

Pittman-Robertson tax is charged on certain hunting items such as firearms, ammo, bows, etc and is distributed back to the states based on land area of the state and PAID hunting licenses.

The number I remember hearing has been around $55 per license for the last few years but that varies year to year. It does not go to the state general fund but must go to the DNR for certain usages, which I don't remember what those are.

Believe it or not but Obama and Hitlery boosted that considerably with the huge gun sales increases and ammo hoarding that took place over the last 8 years. It will undoubtedly go down to a lower number now.

Free license holders are not counted and do not help us get any of that money from P-R so if everyone who had a free one paid instead it would make a huge difference in the amount of funds that are returned to the state.

Another thing. PAID Lifetime licenses keep providing those funds even after the holder may be dead and buried since they are calculated on a formula and there is no one checking obits to see who has died. Youth lifetime licenses count too so the state may get funds for up to 16 years before the child would even be required to purchase a license anyway.

Heck of a deal for everyone involved when you think about it...buy your kid a license at a discount price before they are 2 and help fund the DNR even more along the way!

If I have any of this wrong I hope Charlie will set us straight on it.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I am a combat veteran, I would not take advantage of a free lifetime license.

I make good money and do not mind paying for my licenses.

The only veteran related "free benefit" I have taken advantage of is getting my Georgia D/L free.

swamp hunter

I'm a Vet as well.
For every Combat Vet there are 3 Support Personnel, from the Cook to the Laundry guy to the guy sitting in Nevada watching the world from a computer screen.
I say If you drew Combat Pay your good...otherwise ,NO.
Not everybody that wears the Uniform are Hero's..

Last edited:

175rltw

BANNED
Hah. Vets rate well below blacks gays and transgenders on the special interest totem- and nothing will change that. The bottom line is that there won't be enough money left for special bathrooms, tax incentives for same sex marriage, EBT, welfare, free cellphones for drug dealers, etc etc etc if veterans dont stop glutting themselves at the trough of the public coffers.

Really tired of veterans always begging for all the regular normal people to pick up there slack. Pay your 50$ like everyone else. You already got free college on the taxpayer nickel.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Really tired of veterans always begging for all the regular normal people to pick up there slack. Pay your 50$ like everyone else. You already got free college on the taxpayer nickel.

How many vets have you EVER heard "begging" for someone to pick up their "slack?" I think you're out of line with this comment.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

Really, "free" college money on the taxpayers dime huh?

I had to pay $1200 into the GI Bill to get that "free" college money. Maybe I missed the "free" clause in my enlistment contract.:confused:

Not to mention putting my life at risk to being able to eventually be able to collect that "free" money.

Btw: I bet it would really grinds your gears to know that I get my D/L free from the state.;)

Beartrkkr

Agreed that free licenses do not return PR funds back to the state. If they want to cut veterans a break, they could reduce the cost of a lifetime license and still receive PR funds since it would be a sold hunting license.

SC stopped their free licenses for people 65 and older. Now they offer a Senior Lifetime license for $9 (or something like that) when you turn 65 so they could still receive a share of the PR funds.