Black panthers!!

reylamb

According to the AP wire this morning, local authorities have now identified this animal as a melanistic jaguar which had been declawed. They believe it was a pet that escaped during the recent tornadoes they had up that way. This animal is not a panther, not a mtn lion, not a black panther, rather a melanistic jaguar, which everyone knows exist.

I've been a wildlife biologist for almost 40 years here in GA with the federal government (now retired). During that time there has never been a documented case (photos, carcass, etc.) of a black panther and very few credible cases of panthers per se in Georgia although the sightings continue almost every year. There are cases of black (melanistic) jaguars, and leopards in the wild and in captivity as pets (?) but no one has ever, and I empasize ever, been able to verify the existence of a black panther. However, in nature, stranger things have come to pass and if the Lord God, our creator, wants a black panther, there will be black panthers out there somewhere.

doublebarrel

I saw a black panther run across the road not over 50 feet from my truck in Greene County where Double Branches boat ramp is now on Lake Oconee. I saw it and i have no reason to not tell the truth!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

HawgCalla

I do believe we still have native big cats still roaming Ga. , never laid eyes on one, but I have sure heard one hunting a property off the mulberry in jackson co. .. you will know it when you hear it.. every hair on your body will stand on end,

R

redneckcamo

sorry i had a fight in tha middle of your black panther party !!!! -FG

Last edited:

Mugwamp

As much as I do not like new laws, this is why we need a Federal Law that requires that any exotic big cats, pet wolfs, pet bears, etc. should have a micro chip implanted in them. That way they could be traced back to the yahoo who let it excape.
Best Regards Mugwamp

BCondor77

My Dad swears up and down that he saw a big black cat (as in panther) run across our road at our hunting property in Putnam about 8 years ago. A few miles away from where DoubleBarrel says he saw one run across the road. Dad has no reason to tell something like that unless it actually happened...again, no photo or chance to get one. Just crossed the road walking and scared the you know what out of him....have no reason whatsoever to doubt his word

Condor

Mountain Lion sighting

This does not concern a black panther, so it is a little off topic here but I was in a hunting club in Heard county right on the Alabama line and the surrounding terrain was very steep.

We started to get pictures of deer with what looked like raking type scars on their backs and wondered what was up. (Actually thought it might be a mange type disease) On the neighboring hunt club they claimed that they actually got a picture of a regular, tan type, mountain lion. I did not see the picture personally but several people in the club did see the picture and when I asked why the owner of the camera did not publizize the picture he said it was because of fear that the government would decide there was some sort of endangered species there and possibly shut the hunting down.

From what I have read, the mountain lion is coming back out west and it is considered possible that there might be a few animals in the Appalachins.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
This does not concern a black panther, so it is a little off topic here but I was in a hunting club in Heard county right on the Alabama line and the surrounding terrain was very steep.

We started to get pictures of deer with what looked like raking type scars on their backs and wondered what was up. (Actually thought it might be a mange type disease) On the neighboring hunt club they claimed that they actually got a picture of a regular, tan type, mountain lion. I did not see the picture personally but several people in the club did see the picture and when I asked why the owner of the camera did not publizize the picture he said it was because of fear that the government would decide there was some sort of endangered species there and possibly shut the hunting down.

From what I have read, the mountain lion is coming back out west and it is considered possible that there might be a few animals in the Appalachins.

Like this:

Attachments

• SUNP0148 mod.jpg
    SUNP0148 mod.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 610
  • SUNP0150 mod.jpg
    SUNP0150 mod.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 613

Condor

Similar to picture

The deer pictures I saw were similar, a couple with pronounced 4 claw marks dragged pretty much down the middle of the back and on the rear haunches. Deer were extremely skittish and hard to hunt even in the 1st part of the season.