Blackstone/Griddle Question(s)

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
One more question..

Yall said to get the hard top cover.
There are 2 types.

One that is attached and one that is completely removable.

On Amazon, I can get the grill, removable hard top, and soft cover for around $400 + taxes
At somewhere Iike Academy, I can get the grill with the flip top lid for $499 + taxes.

Is it worth paying the extra money to have the attached flip top?
Sarah, if you find one online you may like, check to see if it’s sold locally so you can have a better look at it in person. Might even be a little cheaper locally. Also, you may find that a 28 inch, instead of a 36 inch, is plenty big enough for your use. If the pricing is the same, of course go bigger.

Have you seen these two below? Maybe someone here have thoughts about these two. They’re certainly cheaper, and sold at Walmart, so you may be able to check them out locally. What do you think @NCHillbilly ?

No cover. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blacksto...tion-with-Side-Shelves/415776934?athbdg=L1600

With hard cover. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blacksto...tation-with-Hard-Cover/578992934?athbdg=L1200

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I posted the one with no cover in case you wanted to buy a different type of cover to use. They sale covers for them separately.

Lilly001

My local Wally mart Carry's several in stock.
The prices seem to be competitive and they often have several assembled so you could look at them.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Blackstone 17" with deep fryer and a Blackstone 22". Both have hinged covers. They're kept in my covered cook shack and I also cover them with the Blackstone cloth covers. I use them probably once a week, sometimes less. I never had a problem with keeping them seasoned, just treat them like cast iron and you'll be good to go. Wally world carries plenty of them with accessories. I know the China and Wally world problem everyone has, but dang, go buy one and be happy. You won't regret it.

bany

One more question..

Yall said to get the hard top cover.
There are 2 types.

One that is attached and one that is completely removable.

On Amazon, I can get the grill, removable hard top, and soft cover for around $400 + taxes
At somewhere Iike Academy, I can get the grill with the flip top lid for $499 + taxes.

Is it worth paying the extra money to have the attached flip top?

We have the hard cover that sits on top and has two hooks so it can hang on the back side while in use. I suppose we could use it like a steamer lid but I don’t want to clean it. We also have the soft cover that seems to keep the moisture out. It lives out of roof.

jrickman

I've got the removable hard cover. Unless you have it sitting out in the open, just leave the hooks off. It isn't worth the trouble hanging it on the back.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Saw these today @ my local Walmart. Screenshot_20220521-204556_Gallery.jpg
Seemed like an outstanding deal at first. But then I noticed every one of them were rusted on top. Not sure how hard it would be to clean them.
Screenshot_20220521-204632_Gallery.jpg
Guess they were left outside in the garden dept.

SarahFair

Thanks everyone for the input!

We decided to go with the 36" griddle with a lid.
Bought it at our local Ace Hardware down the hill.
With taxes it came to a total of $534, but they offered assembly and delivered it the next morning at no additional cost.

I did go ahead and get the attached lid because my space is limited and I didn't know what taking the top off to hang it and putting it back on entailed.

So far we've made smash burgers a couple times, grilled some chicken tenders, made a full breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs, and pancakes, just did some BLTs for lunch, and tonight we are doing chicken fajitas

I am glad I went with the 36", the SO thought maybe the 28", but once breakfast got sprawled out on it, the 36" spoke for itself.

...and I'll take cooking on this any day over cooking in the kitchen, because a) you get to be outside and b) cleanup is a breeze. :fine:

For anyone on the fence, totally worth it.

crackerdave

Thanks everyone for the input!

We decided to go with the 36" griddle with a lid.
Bought it at our local Ace Hardware down the hill.
With taxes it came to a total of $534, but they offered assembly and delivered it the next morning at no additional cost.

I did go ahead and get the attached lid because my space is limited and I didn't know what taking the top off to hang it and putting it back on entailed.

So far we've made smash burgers a couple times, grilled some chicken tenders, made a full breakfast of bacon, sausage, eggs, and pancakes, just did some BLTs for lunch, and tonight we are doing chicken fajitas

I am glad I went with the 36", the SO thought maybe the 28", but once breakfast got sprawled out on it, the 36" spoke for itself.

...and I'll take cooking on this any day over cooking in the kitchen, because a) you get to be outside and b) cleanup is a breeze. :fine:

For anyone on the fence, totally worth it.
Sounds like you'll get a lot of use out of it!

jrickman

Sounds like a typical new Blackstone owner. I think I cooked every meal for at least 2 full weeks on it after I got mine. It still gets used at least 3 times a week. I brown ground beef on it exclusively now. I prop it up a bit so the grease is running downhill and let it rip. Can have 3 pounds browned and drained in about 5 mins. Arms are a little tired though, from doing my Hibachi chef impersonation with 2 spatulas.

tr21

I've owned a 36in. for over 4 years now. cooked about everything on it. only thing I've found that it doesn't do good is those curved sausages, like Johnsonville Italians, so I still use the grill for it. get you a steam cover and some skrimps and 1 1/4 in beef fillets. marinade the fillets and get your blackstone as hot as possible, throw em on and cover for 5 1/2 min. then flip cover and another 5 1/2, take off put em on a plate with a dab of butter and cover with foil. have a small aluminum pan with garlic and butter melting on far side of griddle. put the skrimps on a skewer, brush em with the garlic butter and cover for 2 min, then flip brush and sprinkle parm cheese on em and cover another 2 min. take them off and plate with fillets and you and the SO will be slapping each other it's soooo goood !

Artfuldodger

Oh, and a good thing you got the big one. When kids move out, they always come back for vittles, lol.
We now prefer our steaks and burgers in a cast iron skillet so I think I'd use a Blackstone more than my charcoal grill. I still have a smoker for smoking.

tr21

I do want a smaller one for travel now.
I take my 36in. camping, I cook for a few people and when I go camping it's usually for 1 to 2 months !!! this year I left my blackstone at my brothers house and am fixing to buy another one for my house.....