Blade age ?

Jimmypop

Can anyone identify the culture these two blades are from? They were found in the same half acre. The smaller one is very thick and was not completed on the rough side. My disk found them before I did.

Attachments

• 0812181924.jpg
    0812181924.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 0812181927a.jpg
    0812181927a.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 68

Forest Grump

I would call both of those unfinished preforms.
Late stage, but no fine edge work. Sometimes I can see why they abandoned them, sometimes not...but I don’t know what they were trying to make, & they were very utilitarian people, who could always pick up another rock & start over.
Apparently they didn’t have OCD:geek:

I don’t know how to assign a preform to a cultural period except the Paleo ones, which have overshot flakes even as bifaces.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What FG said. Both of those have the initial and secondary thinning done, but not quite to the pressure-flaking stage. I think a lot of times, preforms were worked down to that point at the quarry source, so that they were lighter and easier to carry, and most of the flaws would be found by the time most of the thinning work was done. They would have been finished later, but sometimes, they weren't for whatever reason.

Jimmypop

Doesn't the blade on the left have a couple of overshot flakes? If not, I probably don't know what I'm looking for. I'm attaching a flat and side view pics of what I have always thought was an overshot flake turned into a scraper. If that's not the case, let me know. thanks

Attachments

• 0813181918.jpg
    0813181918.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 0813181913.jpg
    0813181913.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 36

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say you're right on that last one.