Blind leases or OOS hunts

RLykens

Did anyone lease a blind/pit outside of GA this year? Or did you simply do DIY hunts on public land? How was the process for the leasing? Thinking about doing it next season.

Long Cut

I’ve done all of the above, from North Dakota to Mississippi.

Leasing fields is nice because it’s yours and nobody else can beat you to the spot.. Leave dekes out etc

BUT you need a lot of dekes to traffic birds and create your own X. You’ll be in close proximity to other blinds and will have similar competition as you would on a WMA.

Public is tough.. Scout, hunt scout etc A lot of gas and windshield time involved. Minimal sleep but your odds of better hunting as compared to a leased field are very possible.

At the end of the day it’s your decision. I’ve done both and I won’t lease a field again personally..

Hope this helps

Mark K

Banned
If you lease just make sure it holds ducks. Found an area many years ago while in a “lease”.
Rode by this place for 2 years and finally stopped in to ask who the owner was. A young man informed me it was his families and how could he help me? I informed him I wanted to look around and talk price because I was going to lease it from him next year. He laughed and said jump in the truck and I’ll show you what we got. That was the best place I ever hunted in Mississippi. Ducks galore. But, I listened to their recommendations on flooding and hunting. They staggered flooding the pits and fields to hold ducks all season.

Said all that to say this, look a place over during the actual duck season before leasing, not all places are equal. I was in one of the best clubs in Arkansas and this place had a pit in a field about 300 yards from another pit leased by someone else. We would be done with a 6 man limit before they even fired a shot and they would have 6 mojo’s to our none.

jdgator

If you lease just make sure it holds ducks. Found an area many years ago while in a “lease”.
Rode by this place for 2 years and finally stopped in to ask who the owner was. A young man informed me it was his families and how could he help me? I informed him I wanted to look around and talk price because I was going to lease it from him next year. He laughed and said jump in the truck and I’ll show you what we got. That was the best place I ever hunted in Mississippi. Ducks galore. But, I listened to their recommendations on flooding and hunting. They staggered flooding the pits and fields to hold ducks all season.

Said all that to say this, look a place over during the actual duck season before leasing, not all places are equal. I was in one of the best clubs in Arkansas and this place had a pit in a field about 300 yards from another pit leased by someone else. We would be done with a 6 man limit before they even fired a shot and they would have 6 mojo’s to our none.

Great advice. I would add that its a roll of the dice.

Duckbuster82

A lease limits you to an area, while free lancing gives you freedom to roam. I had a buddy who between him and another fellow had 30k+ in leases this year. They hunt every day of the season. They hunted their lease for maybe two weeks total. Public ground isn’t for everyone it taks a pile of work and time to be successful.

Last edited:
We've been in decent leases and very bad leases. Beware, for every good field lease in the Delta, there are 10 bad ones. Also, there are countless "hunt clubs" in AR/MS with 10+ duck holes (pits, blinds, timber etc.) Usually a quarter of them will kill ducks consistently. New members of these clubs are usually the last to figure out what fields consistently kill ducks (I've been that guy!)