Bloodtracker

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
A while back there was a post about using a "house dog" to find a deer. Long story short. I shot a doe about 10 mins before last light.. Shot didn't look right- when I retrieved arrow VERY little blood on the fletchings and NONE on the ground, ANYwhere.. I've been bowhunting many moons. I know this is a bad sign.. I looked around for spatterings of blood for a while and couldn't find any.. I was discouraged and felt I had made a bad shot.. I gave it an hour and walked home to get my dog. He's an 11 yr old black dog, lab/hound, I'd say.. Took him to the arrow and he jumped right on the trail. Took him about 3 minutes to find the expired deer. Less than 100 yds.. It was a good shot; just didn't leave a good trail. I'd prolly walked within 10 feet of her.. I've killed piles of deer over the years but this one was special. When in doubt use the house puppy!

Attachments

• IMG_1413.JPG
    IMG_1413.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1414.PNG
    IMG_1414.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 127

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Tracking dogs are trained for it but I have seen the house pooch do it too.

Hillbilly stalker

Man that's great, glad you found your deer. Never under estimate what a good dog will do to please you. Can't tell who's grinning bigger, you or him. ;)

Josh B

I had a pit that was crazy about deer. I used her multiple times. Once my wife had her on a leash and it looked like she was water skiing on leaves.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
great story...glad you found her and maybe picked up a new use for the old pup

killabig1

All dogs have a good enough nose to track a deer, the trick is communicating to them WHICH smell you want them to follow. They detect many smells in the woods, got to let them know which one to take.
Congrats on the doe!