Blue catfish as game fish?

lampern

What is the benefit to classifying blue catfish as game fish now that folks are catching more blue catfish in the state?

Teh Wicked

THe GA DNR Defines the game fish and what it means to be classified as such.

JR'S GUIDE

What is the benefit to classifying blue catfish as game fish now that folks are catching more blue catfish in the state?

Blue cats are getting to be a big tournament draw in AL and TN they classify them as a game fish and set limits and slot size which grows bigger fish. WinterBlues on Wheeler had 190 boats last weekend in the cold weather and pumped a lot of money into that local economy ( 174 lbs 5 fish limit won 10k) Georgia has the water to set up this type fishery if rules were put in place and who wouldn't want a chance to catch a 100 lb fresh water fish local.

lampern

It was explained to me the main difference between being a game fish and not is that folks cannot generally spear and bow fish game fish.

And that blue catfish are not really native to GA anyway unlike channel and flatheads.

bird35

If you classified them as gamefish it would stop commercial fishermen using nets to catch them in the Coosa.

I would like to see cats named a gamefish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Blue cats aren't even native to most of the southeast. I love catching catfish a lot more than catching bass, but they're catfish. Non-native catfish. They're not a game fish. Sorry.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Blue cats are getting to be a big tournament draw in AL and TN they classify them as a game fish and set limits and slot size which grows bigger fish. WinterBlues on Wheeler had 190 boats last weekend in the cold weather and pumped a lot of money into that local economy ( 174 lbs 5 fish limit won 10k) Georgia has the water to set up this type fishery if rules were put in place and who wouldn't want a chance to catch a 100 lb fresh water fish local.

Every time money and competition get involved in hunting or fishing, it screws it for everybody. And leads to a lot of self-righteous folks trying to control how other folks fish and hunt so as not to endanger their cash flow. And lakes covered with boats running around 90mph cutting in front of everybody fishing and acting like they're the only ones with the right to fish. I see that as a bad thing, not a good thing.

lampern

Blue cats aren't even native to most of the southeast. I love catching catfish a lot more than catching bass, but they're catfish. Non-native catfish. They're not a game fish. Sorry.

Actually in GA flathead and channel catfish are indeed game fish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

hopper

Every time money and competition get involved in hunting or fishing, it screws it for everybody. And leads to a lot of self-righteous folks trying to control how other folks fish and hunt so as not to endanger their cash flow. And lakes covered with boats running around 90mph cutting in front of everybody fishing and acting like they're the only ones with the right to fish. I see that as a bad thing, not a good thing.
Sounds like you been to Lanier

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member