Boat Build

g0nef1sshn

This is the long story of this afternoons shenanigans....

The long story is I had bought the fuel line and ignition at west marine while in Fl 4th of July weekend. Today my fuel line is no where to be found? It had the whole kit (filter, fittings, kitchen sink). SO, I bite the bullet and go to bass pro and buy two ( merc fuel line kits). One for a spare on impulse. Get back home after Savannah rush hour all happy and go to put it all together and what happens? The new bass pro fuel kits do not come with the fuel line connector to the tank like my original NEW $$$$$$$$$$$ west marine one did. So I butchered one set to drop the line in the tank. But Wait it gets better. My dads neighbor and friend had a small bucket of random gas line fittings/connectors from all his boats over the years. ONE happened to fit and click to the motor so he let me have it. The new "mercury" outboard gas line fitting would not connect at all to the motor. So I had to cut that fitting off and attach the gifted one on. But when I did that I did not pay attention to the primer ball and hooked it all up backwards. Meanwhile the admiral is mad about a lost new gas line and the run to bass pro to buy something that is probably in the garage somewhere ( Her dad recently visited and helped organize things). He is a very smart guy and would remember seeing one in there new in the package so maybe it got stolen while the door was up during the day? thats my thought now. so after all the running around, by the time I get to testing and trouble shooting things my kids are going to bed and a new noise outside wont help that.

Tomorrow is another day my friends. Stay thirsty![/B][/B][/B]

Dr. Strangelove

I feel foolish giving you advice after reading your build, you obviously know what you are doing, so read this as "preaching to the choir". I'm sure you have already done this, but here goes:

• Go to the manufacturer's website and put in the model and serial numbers of your outboard. Make sure you have the correct ID (inside diameter) fuel line, and get the correct part # for the terminal connector to the engine.
  • After determining you have the correct ID fuel line, order/buy locally a NEW, correct terminal connector.
  • Assemble your new fuel line, making sure the connections are airtight. Leave the fuel filter off for the first test run, you have a new tank and lines, right?
  • After the test run goes well, add the fuel filter back if you feel like, unless there is already one on the engine.
  • Assemble the "spare fuel line" with the "gifted" terminal connector and store it somewhere in the boat. If the engine runs well with an additional fuel filter in-line, add one if you like.

After having lived on the coast in FL for some time, most of the problems I've seen with outboards trace back to leaky fuel lines or poor connections at the terminal end with the engine. The spring/springs in the terminal connector (or at the tank) wear out over time and it starts to leak/suck air.

Make sure the bulb pumps up tight and holds pressure, it's good practice to keep a spare bulb or entire fuel assembly aboard.

Again, I'm sure you know all this, but I don't know that I'd trust a who knows how old terminal connector on an older engine. A new one is cheap compared to what you have put into the build, and takes out one more variable should you need to troubleshoot.

Have fun! I'm jealous!

g0nef1sshn

It finally happened!!!

She got all wet! Thanks to a fellow local hunting friend stopping by to help with the test run she got in the water and ran a few miles in the Ogeechee. There is still some work to do and tweeking with things, but its fishable and huntable finally! :banana::cheers:

Attachments

• 20160723_134810_resized.jpg
    20160723_134810_resized.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 776

tucker80

Congrats!! Sure has came a long way!!
Now time to make the memories on the water instead of the garage.

Attachments

• 20160723_172158.jpg
    20160723_172158.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 748

g0nef1sshn

Congrats!! Sure has came a long way!!
Now time to make the memories on the water instead of the garage.

Thanks for the picture tucker! Took the wife and kids for a small ride this morning and they had a blast. Now on to planning all the little stuff. I want to sell this tiller handle and get the right one. But it works for now.

maconbacon

Man that is awesome! :cool:

You've got more handiness in your pinky than I have in my whole body! I feel accomplished simply patching small dings in the fiberglass on my boat :rofl:

MudDucker

Staff member
Looking good!

g0nef1sshn

Man that is awesome! :cool:

You've got more handiness in your pinky than I have in my whole body! I feel accomplished simply patching small dings in the fiberglass on my boat :rofl:

Im scared to work on glass so hats off to you on that one! I think thats harder and more challenging actually.

g0nef1sshn

:cheers::cheers::yeah:

closing on our house soon, so no updates for a bit until this goes through, then have to close on the house we have an offer on. So if you been through this you know the work and investment involved. As in not spending any money as much as possible!:banginghe

g0nef1sshn

Dog sitters?

Closing on new house the 31'st. Cant move in until 72 hrs after. Need Dogs watched from 30th till the 4th maybe? Local vet where ours go will run close to 400$ for that time. Anyone know someone in the savannah area that can watch a 3 yr old chocolate lab and 5 month old black lab at a better dollar? Both get along with other dogs, neither are fixed. Any help appreciated.

Chase4556

Closing on new house the 31'st. Cant move in until 72 hrs after. Need Dogs watched from 30th till the 4th maybe? Local vet where ours go will run close to 400$ for that time. Anyone know someone in the savannah area that can watch a 3 yr old chocolate lab and 5 month old black lab at a better dollar? Both get along with other dogs, neither are fixed. Any help appreciated.

GAH! I would in a heart beat, but sadly I'm in the 'Stan. I need your 5 month to wear a hole in my wifes heart so I can get a pup. We have used Barks over on 95, and Club Fido off 17. Not sure if the pooches need to be fixed or not to go there, nor do I remember their rates, but I highly recommend both.

Good to see you got the boat finished up and in the water. I've been following this since the beginning. I'm at Hunter as well, we should get together and do some hunting.

g0nef1sshn

GAH! I would in a heart beat, but sadly I'm in the 'Stan. I need your 5 month to wear a hole in my wifes heart so I can get a pup. We have used Barks over on 95, and Club Fido off 17. Not sure if the pooches need to be fixed or not to go there, nor do I remember their rates, but I highly recommend both.

Good to see you got the boat finished up and in the water. I've been following this since the beginning. I'm at Hunter as well, we should get together and do some hunting.

Thanks chase. Friends of ours we didnt think would be able to them both can. Thats a big help.

When will you be back? I should be here for this season, but may be in your shoes from the sounds of it by the next one.

As long as i can fix the tiller issue we can link up. If not, i wouldnt take it out unless theres another boat out for the first few trips for insurance and safety reason.

g0nef1sshn

Also, I am trying to get this for the next project. Pre 1972 Starcraft Islander 22 fter. Needs a complete restore head to toe! On the list of things to do...

Attachments

• 20160815_134854_resized.jpg
    20160815_134854_resized.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,672
  • 20160815_134923_resized.jpg
    20160815_134923_resized.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,710

g0nef1sshn

You thought the current boat was a project... that will be a project.

Ya, and a big one at that! If it happens ill start a build in the everthing motorized side of the forum. This one would be back to original and better, not a hunting boat. We will see.....

g0nef1sshn

99% packed in uhaul and storage. 100% by tomorrow night. Moving is work. But no hoa, flood insurance, and parking boat where ever i want is worth it! Plus schools going from 3 of 10 to 9 of 10! Thats is ofcourse if closings all go as planned Wedneday. Busy month and no time to fix the tiller. Its killin me!

g0nef1sshn

Closing went great and started moving today!! A lot more to go, then new tiller to make this thing right. Loving the new hood! And still close to the water.