Boat Gear

TAS

I am a new boat owner. Have the required gear...life vests, flares ect. Was wondering what others have found helpful to have on a boat for unexpected problems. Boated with a guy this weekend that always brings an extra five gallons of gas. Thanks.

Cevans96

I keep and extra plug and a rope that can be used to pull start my motor if my cranking battery dies

rospaw

Basic tool set (kept in a waterproof plastic ammo box) also to include vise grips, needle nose, wire stripper and some wire, test light/meter, extra fuel bulb/hose, drain plug, 2 led flash lights
Jump battery
Large new good tarp and a few bunges. 12x15 ish
Half dozen bottles of water
a few MRE's
pistol (SS 38/357)
Lighter/matches sealed up
extra rope
rain gear
Water anchor
Dive mask is a must! Seal it in a tupperware bowl
COMPASS and knowledge on how to use it!
Yeah, I carry a lot of stuff and have been stranded a few time over night on a lake and at sea.

bilgerat

Senior
A few things I have in My dry box are:
A good first aid kit
a coaches whistle
a good sharp divers knife
2 lighters, ones that tactical X lighter thingy
and some good para cord among other things.

b5fish

Recently I reached into the cooler and found the kitchen knife my roommate put in there... right between the fingers.. I sure wished I had a better first aid kit on the boat.

Superglue/peroxide - Comes in handy if you cut yourself
Electrical Tape
Spark plugs - Make sure to gap them first
Flashlights - Amazon sells cheap "tactical" lights that work well
Extra pair of sunglasses

Mr. Fishunt

Clear safety glasses for the boat ride back to the marina at sunset.

When late spring hits, the bugs are bad.

At 30 miles an hour, those safety glasses are a nice addition.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

1gr8bldr

Extra key hidden if it's a key start. Hand held marker bouy to mark a location if something falls overboard. A change of clothes.

rospaw

Know your boat!

Know where ALL fuses are and what they control. Extra fuses.

Know where your bilge pump is and how to remove/install so you can clear it/unblock it / repair it on the water.

Extra fuel filters/ pump ball / line and know where they are at. Know how to change on the water.

Good roll of sealed up duck tape (3m)

Shear pin for prop. An extra prop with everything including the nut/pin.

Beacon light / bright flashing light.

First aid kit a must!

I like the larger waterproof orange plastic ammo cans for storage of many of the items listed. Even for my tool box.

JackSprat

I've always carried two fuel connectors, bulb, and an assortment of hose clamps. In recent years I have supplemented zip ties.

Surprised no one mentioned duct tape.

BTW, carrying these has saved my bacon on several occasions over the last 50 years. Nick that little "O" ring in your fuel line connector, or get a crack in the bulb and you are just as dead in the water as if you had blown the engine.

Last edited:

Bigmonk96

First Aid Kit
Jumper Cables**
Toilet Paper
Change of dry clothes
I had all this in plastic bags of some sort to keep em' dry :cheers:

boatbuilder

always carry a spare 6 pack of beer in case of emergency's.

This is good advice but most of my boating problems happen after all the beer is gone.

I keep a pint of Jim beam in an ammo can along with my essential tools and spare parts like fuses and filters etc....

The beam is good because it is nasty enough that I will only use it in a true emergency.

Last edited: