Boat Motor Impeller Replacement? PLEASE HELP

rapid fire

Has anyone ever replaced an impeller by themselves? I have a 1964 Johnson 6hp that I would like to replace the impeller on, but don't know anything about it. Can anyone help?

jay sullivent

.why are you changing the impeller just out of curiosity. my buddy has an old johnson that we were running at my house and we could not find where the water was supposed to shoot out and assumed the impeller was bad. we had it checked at a marine shop and it got a clean bill of health. it cost 50 bucks for the checkup. the best advice for you would be to go ahead and buy the little repair/ maintenance booklets. they are 20 or 30 dollars but it would be worth it for that motor. it will last a lifetime if cared for properly.

rapid fire

Jay, The water should be coming out the exaust hole just below the engine. I do know that impellers are bad to dry rot or wear out. I put mine in a bucket and couldn't get the water to circulate, but the bucket may just be too small. For the $15 price of an impeller, i figure if it is easy then it is worth changing. I have been told that they should be replaced about every 2 years.

jay sullivent

rapid fire said:
Jay, The water should be coming out the exaust hole just below the engine.

that's exactly what i thought.have you ever seen it come out there? and does the motor have a through the prop exhaust? even if it is still good, you are right, preventive maintenance will never hurt.

Kdog

RF, it is and easy change. Sould only be 1 or 2 bolts to drop the lower unit, and then 1 or 2 hold down screws on the housing. If you ran it in a bucket, and did not get water, you may have just burnt it up anyway. You can look online and find a diagram that will tell you how to do it. They are not directional, but you do need to turn it a certain direction to set it in place. I will search in a few to see if I can find a link for you.

Kdog

rapid fire

I don't know too much about the motor. My grandfather has owned it since 1964 and He talks like it should be coming out the exhaust. It does have some sort of discharge just below the prop. The motor has sat for several years and I just don't want to burn it up.

rapid fire

Kdog, thanks, I only ran it for a few seconds at at time. I know that it doesn't take too long to cook one so I was trying to be careful. I have looked on-line, but just can't find what I need to know. I could spend the money on a repair manual, but I am trying to put as little money in this fishing machine as possible. thanks guys, RF

Kdog

RF, that should be a pickup, not discharge if it is below the prop. You should not have a through prop exhaust on that small of an engine.

Kdog

rapid fire

Kdog, yeah, that is what I figure. It does have four small pickups on the left side of the foot as well. I have read quite a bit about folks removing the bolts, but still having problems due to the shift rod. Do you know what the process is for removing the shift rod? Does the motor have to be in a certain gear?

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a 60 model 5.5 seahorse. asuming you motor has a thermastat. the water probably won't come out the exaust much til the thermastat opens. on my motor I beleave I had to come in from the top to replace my impeller. don't fear its not that hard. I dont remember what I had to go through to figure out that thats where it was. If you know its old, I would replace it. they dry rot after sitting a long time.

jay sullivent

my motor is a 5 horse and it has a through the prop exhaust, but it is a 1999 Tohatsu. what phil is saying makes sense. that's why me and my buddy didn't see water coming out.