boat set up help

Thread starter #1
I've been bowfishing out of my 14ft jon boat. I put a 3 ft deck over the top rails. not a lot of elevation but its better than standing in the floor. I tried to mount lights at deck level but with me in the front of the small boat the lights aren't much higher than a foot off of the water. as you can guess this don't give me much of an area lit up. maybe 3 or 4 ft from the boat. any ideas of how to raise the lights up? I don't think I can build a rail bc of the limited space in the front of the boat.

I did my old deck/light rig like this. not the greatest by no means, But I shot a TON of fish off of it. Just a piece of flange on top and bottom with a piece of pvc or conduit in the middle with the lights mounted on top. The whole in the deck is from the tornado at the 2010 Muzzy...

Attachments

FOD

From what I've found,a raised deck isn't really worth the trouble unless you're shooting in the daytime,and it gives you a nice place to put your lights.After having raised decks for 10 years,I went to a flat deck,my lights get in the way sometimes,but I'm closer to the fish,and it's alot more simple.

j_seph

My 10 are mounted just barely above the deck and get plenty of light with 300 watts, even more now that I went with 225 ultras may even add 4 more toward the back.

Thread starter #7
that's a lot of lights. my boat is so small I was afraid that many lights would make me fall. I just have two on each side angled towards the bank I'm working. since I'm always working the bank for these carp the thought has crossed my mind to put all 4 on one side and add one on the other side just for navigation?

that pvc pipe and flange should work well on a flush deck as long as you dont put them too high. its just like shooting over a knee rail. for that matter, just build a knee rail and mlunt them to it. we built one on my buddy's 1648 and my 1756 before i built the raised aluminum deck on it.

Thread starter #10
I will have to check but I think they are smooth. I went to the home depot and found pvc precut to 2ft and flanges that fit. with a little ingunuity I should be able to run the set up free of wires around my feet. now the big question is how to keep all of the bugs off of me. I got covered last time I tried this.

Michael

I shot for yrs out of a 14' Duracraft with 2-500 wt lights up front and 2-300 wt lights on the side. The 500 wt lights were on a 16" pole and the 300's were on a 12" pole.

FULL_DRAW

I will have to check but I think they are smooth. I went to the home depot and found pvc precut to 2ft and flanges that fit. with a little ingunuity I should be able to run the set up free of wires around my feet. now the big question is how to keep all of the bugs off of me. I got covered last time I tried this.
What bugs???

Attachments

FULL_DRAW

Good Lawd, I thought we were in em bad, but no where near did they try and push the boat down like those are:yawn:
Yea that was @ Oconee near swords. It was pretty bad! took 2 hrs to clean them outta the boat! probably could have filled a 5 gallon bucket with em.

j_seph

We had em at Oconee up the river and you could ere popping everytime you took a step. Started to go to a team name change of snap, crackle, pop lol