Book recommendations

splatek

UAEC
Many of y'all know I'm brand new to hunting. I've been asking a ton of questions on here and getting some really good advice. However, I think I might be able to ask even better questions if I had a few basic primer books in the topic. Really interested in learning about deer, bear and hog hunting. I'm also really interested in learning about hunting the mountain areas/wma's.

Did a quick check on Amazon and there are plenty of books, they all get about 3-4 stars review. That's not all that helpful. They can't all be good. So, any good recommendations...

Thanks in advance

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Steve Rinella The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game. Great book to get you more than started.
Very good! I've watched video's on Netflix, Steve is a good hunter.
The GON magazine is also great!

splatek

UAEC
Steve Rinella The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game. Great book to get you more than started.

So, when I first started thinking about hunting this was the first book I got, because it has a ton of great reviews on Amazon and was available as a kindle purchase. However, after being in the field and now going back and reading it again - I didn't even know what I didn't know! There are a ton of good little tips, trick in there that this re-read (at your suggestion) has been 2, maybe 3 times as informative as the first read. I love books like that.

Anything by Leonard Lee Rue lll. Hunting Whitetails Successfully by J. Wayne Fears is a gooden for beginners. Both are old school but the deer ain't changed.

@strothershwacker thanks man. I will check those out!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think you are on the rt track , just hang in there and keep spending all the time u can in the woods, it will come together , but I don’t care for reading !

Worlldbeater

Hunting Trophy White Tails by John Wooters is great for the any deer hunter, you may can find it on e-bay. Also everything those above my post will help. Best of luck to ya.

NCMTNHunter

Big Bucks the Benoit Way is a good read. While tracking deer in the snow isn’t very important for most of down south there is ton of info in this book about buck behavior that can apply anywhere.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Big Bucks the Benoit Way is a good read. While tracking deer in the snow isn’t very important for most of down south there is ton of info in this book about buck behavior that can apply anywhere.
The Benoits hunt like everyone here hunted when I was starting to deer hunt 35 years ago.

Hillbilly stalker

Man they would run one to the end of the Earth, they used them "jam-o-matics" didn't they ?

Mattval

I tried to track deer in the snow when I was a kid. Walked for miles never seen anything. prolly to noisy