Boots on Ground

BowArrow

Started hog hunting at Fort Stewart recently to get me in woods until deer season opens in September. Read on this forum that some say put boots on ground. Also talked to hog hunters from Pennsylvania and Maryland in February at FS campground and they say boots on the ground is best way to hunt hogs. Well I went this week to FS and put boots on the ground in three different areas. I did see 12 hogs but no shots. My problem was at 80 years old I had trouble putting my feet on the floor the next morning. My joints and muscles did not move in the normal manner. After recouping this week, I will be ready to go again next week if the rain will stop. FS is 250,000 acres of hunting land and at my age I do not have much time left to put boots on the ground. FS was my bowhunting ground in the 60's, 70's and 80's and I have a lot of memories including petting a wild hog that walked up to me when I was leaving my stand behind the ammo dump. My hunting pardners did not believe I would per a wild hog in the dark of night but I did.

Geezer Ray

I was there last week for the first time. I put boots on the ground and I am pretty sure I walked to Chattanooga and back. The rain and humidity was killing me. I had no clue what areas to hunt and the first part of the week seems most areas were closed. So like hunting anywhere new I did a lot of walking and looking. Found fresh signs in C17 sat on it for three evenings. Anyway, I enjoyed being out and look forward to going back. Did see one dead hog on one of the roads the last evening, but the buzzards got him before I could. It was different hunting with artillery going off.

baddave

just curious . how you get away w/ hunting there during the summer ?? is it different than all other fed land ? and wma's? I actually can't find where you can or can't .. the website is nfg

Geezer Ray

just curious . how you get away w/ hunting there during the summer ?? is it different than all other fed land ? and wma's? I actually can't find where you can or can't .. the website is nfg

Go to isportsman.com for Fort Stewart. There is a tab SOP with all the rules and regs including seasons, check in/checkout.

jbogg

I am mid 50s and am hoping for another 5 - 10 good years of hunting the mountains if my back and knees will hold up. If I am still out there at 80 then I have definitely exceeded expectations. Congrats on still getting after them, and good luck!