Boston Butt

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I am going to smoke a Boston Butt this weekend if something does not interfere. Since I got the smoker, I use it nearly every weekend. I am gonna have to get some more wood.Might post some pics if it looks good.

rockdawg

I was just making plans to do the same. I think I'll try mine Eastern North Carolina style just to change it up a little.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Well changed my mind and doing the Boston Butt today. Started at 7:30 this morning smoking low and slow. Basted with apple juice ever 30 minutes, then placed in foil with apples and onions at 9:00. Gonna cook it all day.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Paymaster ? wheres the googlemap link so we can find the eatin spot ?? or should we just smell it out :)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Dbone sorry I forgot to post my addy fer you. :D It turned out great but I also forgot to photo it before I chopped it. My wife is goin on and on about how good it was. Considering it is only the second time for me smoking a Boston Butt, I am pretty pleased myself. I am sure liking this here smoking food. I saw on another board where folks smoke a whole Log of Bologna. Now I don't know about doin that.

Woody's Janitor

I smoked a chunk of Bologna one time and I really didn't care for it. You may have better luck. Thanks for sharing your smoking events.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
:rofl: :rofl:

Minner

then placed in foil with apples and onions

Did you completely wrap it in tinfoil or leave it open some? I've heard people talk about using tin foil when they smoke meat but I don't really understand why.

Thanks!

Ol' Red

Banned
The reason for using tin foil is to allow the meat to cook in its own juices. It makes it very tender. I will often smoke a ham half way then wrap it in foil for the rest of the smoking.

-Macky

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
You got it Mackyb. You get the smoked taste without it being overwhelming. I love the really smokey taste but I am the only one at home that does. Wife likes a little smoke but not a lot.

Big Moe

just got done cooking

I just did a catering order for about 450 people had to cook 40 Boston Butts. alli do is let is cook low and slow, 12-14 hours 215 degrees. No need to wrap if you have a well built smoker . All i do is let the fire do the work.

Check out the site,

www.bigmoebbq.com

bukhuntr

Pecan is great, less powerful than Hickory. I just got a bunch more chips when we trimmed up all our pecans. It's good for all day smoking. No need to wrap in foil on my big green egg. I cooked a 7lb butt last weekend for 11 hours at about 220. My wife and kids had already eaten about a pound of it by the time I got done shredding it.

jigman

I Like To Cook My Boston Butt On My Green Egg For Four Hours Then Wrap With Foil Cook For Another Two Hours Smoke With Apple Wood, Remove From Smoker Let Rest Untill It Cools Leaving It Wraped In Foil, When Cooled Chop Real Fine Put In Crock Pot Cover With Georgia South Bbq Sauce And Let It Simmer For About Two Hours. Great Bbq.

Uncle Joe

I like to get B butts or whole hams with skin still on at least one side (remote fire box so no flare probs) smoke for 8 hrs then bring in to slow cook in oven @ 200 for 2 -4 more hours gets very tender and you dont need to watch/feed fire

mlmathis123

After reading all the posts about smoking Butts, I have decided to try and locate me another Lang 60 or 84 and get back into doing BBQ again. A few years back I had my little Lang 60 smoking about 50 to 75 butts a week for the local mom & pop restaurants around where I live. Those 3 places kept me busy on the weekends so I would smoke meat when I would come in from work and Vacuum seal it up in 5lb packs then freeze them. I would also do the sauce for the meat from no heat to hotter than any man can stand it. I really loved doing that. I fixed my fire box up with a big Propane burner and a Chip pan to hold the peach wood. Smoke those butts for 3 hours basting them with apple juice every hour at 210 place them in my big steam table pans a just sit the lid on top on them and let them ease along for about 7 more hours at around 200. That is some mighty fine eaten.

I think those Lang 60s go for about $2000 now, I may just sneak down to Nayhunta and get me one :)

God Bless

Mike