Box turtle laying eggs

Thread starter #2
My 9 year old grandson filmed this.

Thread starter #4
I lost track of how many times he used the word awesome! Really liked the footage (close up) when she layed the third egg.

Mowed right over a box turtle last week in a customers back yard. Dont know how I didnt chop it up. Never seen a turtle move so fast to get away. Checked it. Not a scratch.

Many years ago my brothers and I kept a backyard turtle pen for box turtles. We'd keep'em and feed'em for a few weeks and release them back to the woods. My kids did the same. My adult daughter to this day will stop her car if she sees one crossing the road and move it to the road shoulder. It's now illegal to possess one in Georgia without a permit. They are beautiful, long lived creatures with life expectancy between 50-100 years. I hope your grandson's fascination with them continues to grow. Gil

Thread starter #11
Thanks all. He is all about turtles right now. Got a little tortoise for a pet and we built a little habitat for it. Jake's biggest concern was who will take care of it when it outlives him!

Loved that video! i liked it when he said he is going to create a little habitat for them...future wildlife biologist? I sure hope so given the appreciation he has for nature at such a young age. Obviously a fine upbringing(y)

Curious...did anyone not have a box turtle when growing up. My Dad brought us one home when I was probably this young man's age.

Thread starter #14
I remember finding one when I was little that had my granddad's initials carved under it. He said he put them on it many years earlier! That was exciting.

Thanks all. He is all about turtles right now. Got a little tortoise for a pet and we built a little habitat for it. Jake's biggest concern was who will take care of it when it outlives him!
That boy is about grown,Is Jake still into the cycles Dennis?