Brand new first generation 19 y/o hunter with a German hunting terrier(jagdterrier)

Devinj654

Hi everybody I’ve been looking through some of the threads and everyone seems like good people. I’m Devin 19 years old and this is my first real season of hunting. I’ve shot one hog about 8 years ago with my father but we mostly just walked around the woods looking at game often times with my German hunting terrier(jagdterrier). He hasn’t been formerly trained but his natural prey aggression is crazy, I let him chase armadillos raccoons and he trees squirrels l. I also have a pet rabbit who lives in my backyard and front yard. My dog Dingo will flush it out of the the shrubs it is in he does listen when I tell him “OFF” and he stops chasing him . He is about 4 years old and Everything points to him being a trainable future hunting dog, so if you are skilled at hunting small game with dogs or training dogs that would be amazing, also someone who is knowledgeable may come to your mind. I’ve been scouting a bunch of different wildlife management areas like big cypress and north of lake Okeechobee since March of this year and I still haven’t found any honey holes. The most productive spots have been oak and cypress hammocks that take miles of dredging through swamp to get to. I’ve shot one spike deer with bow and arrow, my first deer ever and my first animal with a bow I’ve been eating him all week making stews and grilling steaks. 50 arrows a day payed off. Sorry for the long read but I’ve been obsessed with hunting for 7 months scouting country most weekends. Look forward to being part of you guys awesome community.
Thanks,
Devin Jackson

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Keep him in the woods and you’ll be surprised at what he instinctively knows. Look up ground hunting jags as there’s a small group in North Georgia that trains and hunts

crackerdave

Hi everybody I’ve been looking through some of the threads and everyone seems like good people. I’m Devin 19 years old and this is my first real season of hunting. I’ve shot one hog about 8 years ago with my father but we mostly just walked around the woods looking at game often times with my German hunting terrier(jagdterrier). He hasn’t been formerly trained but his natural prey aggression is crazy, I let him chase armadillos raccoons and he trees squirrels l. I also have a pet rabbit who lives in my backyard and front yard. My dog Dingo will flush it out of the the shrubs it is in he does listen when I tell him “OFF” and he stops chasing him . He is about 4 years old and Everything points to him being a trainable future hunting dog, so if you are skilled at hunting small game with dogs or training dogs that would be amazing, also someone who is knowledgeable may come to your mind. I’ve been scouting a bunch of different wildlife management areas like big cypress and north of lake Okeechobee since March of this year and I still haven’t found any honey holes. The most productive spots have been oak and cypress hammocks that take miles of dredging through swamp to get to. I’ve shot one spike deer with bow and arrow, my first deer ever and my first animal with a bow I’ve been eating him all week making stews and grilling steaks. 50 arrows a day payed off. Sorry for the long read but I’ve been obsessed with hunting for 7 months scouting country most weekends. Look forward to being part of you guys awesome community.
Thanks,
Devin Jackson
It's getting hard to find good hunting grounds in Florida.Public land is crowded,like most places in Florida.Do like I did and move to Georgia!

Nimrod71

Devin, welcome to the world of the outdoors and hunting. You have got a real hunting machine in that Jag. I have a friend in South Dakota that raises them and trains them to bear hunt. I could not believe it when Dennis told me they used them to hunt grizzly bears, but they do. You don't see many Jags here in South Georgia. Your dog will make a great hog dog just get him out and let him run. If you run out of places to hunt come up to South Georgia nearly any farmer will let you kill wild hogs on there property. Good Luck and let the Dogs Run