Braves 2019 Spring Training

BornToHuntAndFish

*** Edit Update Thread Title to shorten it since it covers all of Spring Training. ***

Previous Thread Title below:

"Braves Invite 20 Non-Roster Players to 2019 Major League Spring Training"

In case you are interested in today's annc't . . .

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves-announce-2019-non-roster-spring-training-invites/c-303262596

Braves announce 2019 non-roster Spring Training invites

4:33 PM EST

. . . . . . .

four players (RHP Ian Anderson, OF Cristian Pache, INF Austin Riley, OF Drew Waters) in MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects

February 15, when pitchers and catchers report

first full squad workout is set for February 21

The full list of non-roster players is below.

NON-ROSTER INVITEES (20)

PITCHERS (6): RHP Ian Anderson, LHP Thomas Burrows, LHP Corbin Clouse, LHP Tucker Davidson, LHP Kyle Muller, LHP Joey Wentz

CATCHERS (3): William Contreras, Carlos Martínez, Jonathan Morales

INFIELDERS (6): C.J. Alexander, Andrés Blanco, Pedro Florimon, Sean Kazmar, Luis Marte, Austin Riley

OUTFIELDERS (5): Greyson Jenista, Ryan LaMarre, Rafael Ortega, Cristian Pache, Drew Waters

For larger view of the graphics image, see web link below . . .

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyBzYnLXcAA8BJk.jpg

Time = 2:57
Statcast measures longest homers from Braves' 2018
Atlanta Braves

Published on Jan 3, 2019

Statcast measures some of the longest homers from the Braves' 2018 season, including three from Ronald Acuna Jr.

Time = 3:24
Statcast analyzes best plays from the Braves
Atlanta Braves

Published on Dec 26, 2018

Statcast analyzes the metrics from the best moments of the Braves' 2018 season

:bounce:

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Reminder:

Braves 1st game is only a few days beyond 3-weeks away.

Saw this mentioned on the upper left corner of the Braves home page website.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/braves-...view,lock_state=preview,game_tab=,game=565976

Braves vs. Mets | 02/23/19

Preview

Braves @ Mets

1:10 pm - February 23, 2019

First Data Field - Port St. Lucie, FL

AND

https://www.mlb.com/braves/schedule/2019-02

Schedule

February 2019

Feb. 23rd - 1st Game - Braves vs. Mets @ 1:10 pm

i

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Reminder: Braves players starting to report to Spring Training today.

Chop, Chop!

Braves open camp at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista, Florida on February 15, when pitchers and catchers report. Those groups will have their first workout the following day, while position players will report on February 20. The team's first full squad workout is set for February 21.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/10-braves-players-to-watch-in-spring-training/c-303931810

10 Braves to watch in Spring Training

Feb. 14th, 2019

When the Braves officially open Spring Training with the arrival of pitchers and catchers on Friday

i

BornToHuntAndFish

Play ball!

18-seconds

3-seconds

46-seconds

Brian McCann is back at Braves camp and has high expectations
Fox Sports South

Published on Feb 15, 2019

"Looking forward to putting this uniform on again. I know I keep saying that, but it's special to me."

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/brian-mccann-reports-excited-to-rejoin-braves/c-304007858

Braves notes: McCann, Soroka, Gohara

Feb. 15th, 2019

38-seconds

Chop on!

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Good having Freddie arrive early to Spring Training camp, having a great outlook with positive spins on everything for the Braves.

He even mentions Craig Kimbrel is in town right now to play some golf, in case you have not heard the sports news reports.

2 hours ago
Freddie Freeman: 'We won 90 games and got better'
Fox Sports South

Atlanta Braves star Freddie Freeman arrives at 2019 spring camp expecting another playoff run.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/freddie-freeman-likes-braves-offseason-moves/c-304043904

Freeman pleased with Braves' offseason deals

Atlanta vet lobbied for McCann, excited to play with Donaldson

2:17 PM EST

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Freddie Freeman spent the offseason sharing excitement about the possibility that Josh Donaldson would not end up being the Braves' only significant addition.

But now that the Braves have opened Spring Training without adding J.T. Realmuto, Craig Kimbrel or any of the other potential targets some fans clamored for, Freeman believes general manager Alex Anthopoulos has taken the right approach by not potentially tainting the future in an effort to immediately improve what could already be a good product.

Braves fans became more disgruntled last week when they learned Realmuto was traded to the Phillies, who could still land either Bryce Harper or Manny Machado.

Mets, Phillies and Nationals have generated more attention recently

"I feel like we've gotten so much better," Freeman said. "I feel like everybody is questioning it because the whole NL East got better. The NL East is crazy. It's going to be a fight to the end. Everybody is talking about everybody else. They forget we won 90 games and got better. They all [made those moves] to catch up to us."

"I like what [Anthopoulos] is doing," Freeman said. "I know the fans don't like it. But I think it's good for what's inside this culture, because once we get going and he realizes what we need, he'll go get it. He's not afraid to do it."

BornToHuntAndFish

Braves expecting to be better this season as each team in the division try to improve more than their competition . . .

59-seconds
Spring is here! Braves pitchers and catchers report

40-seconds

35-seconds

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/ronald-acuna-jr-wants-to-bat-leadoff-in-2019/c-304047352

Acuna: 'I'd like to stay in the leadoff spot'

Braves plan to be cautious with Swanson; Waters fulfills childhood dream at Spring Training

Feb. 16th, 2019

westcobbdog

Born’ how many wins are you predicting for our team this season?
I think Vegas has us sliding backwards some while our competitors like the Mets, Nats and filthy Phil’s continue to add big pieces to their rosters. Wish Mr Blank owned the Braves vs a New York based company. We are in a knife fight with a wet noodle. Harper would already be inked here and our roster improves in a game changing way if Arthur owned the team. Harper would jack 35-45 homers easy. Harper- Acuna - Freeman back to back to back would be plain scary.

BornToHuntAndFish

Born’ how many wins are you predicting for our team this season?

I think Vegas has us sliding backwards some while our competitors like the Mets, Nats and filthy Phil’s continue to add big pieces to their rosters. Wish Mr Blank owned the Braves vs a New York based company. We are in a knife fight with a wet noodle. Harper would already be inked here and our roster improves in a game changing way if Arthur owned the team. Harper would jack 35-45 homers easy. Harper- Acuna - Freeman back to back to back would be plain scary.

Like you said, Braves in a knife fight with a wet noodle sounds more the direction I'm leaning, but hoping & looking forward to other Braves fans coming to post more optimism & positive outlooks & enthusiasm.

So far the Spring Braves clubhouse energy is encouraging.

Ya'll are the real baseball fans while I'm just keeping up to update my father, who's a real Braves fan, or to have something to talk to him about. I'm too negative & skeptical on Atlanta Braves, Falcons, & Hawks teams, but I like to contribute positive forum stuff to encourage the real fans & discussions while trying not to drag down others too much.

It depends on way too much like if Braves stay healthy & avoid injuries, or if gambling on past injured or older players works out or not (which usually does not work out based on past history), or if the new young players & minors kids grow & progress enough to make a difference, or if pitching can ever catch up or get close to the hitting contributions, etc. I like to tend toward trying to avoid speculation or guesses about the unpredictable future so I set my expectations low & hope for the better to try to avoid being too disappointed.

I'm expecting a way different NL East division competition than last season.

With the Phils, Nats, & Mets making way more better roster moves forward than the Braves, I'm expecting Atlanta to move backwards during this rebuilding process like it seems you're mentioning. Even though I'm expecting the Braves can be competitive this season, but feel they will be lucky if they can stay in the middle of the pack in the division. If not getting any big player additions, I'm not expecting another 90-win season, or even winning half the regular season games, but think Braves will be doing great if getting 80-wins while being a good season if they make it a mid-70's-win season. With such a young rebuilding team, I'm still expecting a big drop off in winning the last third of the season, while not expecting them to reach the playoffs in back to back seasons.

Hope I'm wrong & that's it's better for the Braves than I'm expecting.

With Braves being a company owned team, I like AA not over spending & not over committing to long term investments while holding back funds in case a good deal comes along to improve the team with a major needed healthy younger addition.

Reckon I'm more of a wait & see type. Sorry I'm no fun.

Hope others weigh in with their thoughts about the coming season.

Westcobbdog, what other MLB thoughts are on your mind???

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/josh-donaldson-wants-to-prove-himself-again/c-304074994

Donaldson ready to prove GM, Braves right

After two injury-ridden seasons, Bringer of Rain eyes productive 2019

3:09 PM EST

Last edited:

biggdogg

From what I've been reading, a lot of the hold up on the spending is that the free agent market didn't offer what AA wanted at a price he was willing to pay. There are some rumors that Kimbrel may sign and there are other rumors saying he hasn't been in talks with the Braves. Mind you, signing Kimbrel will also cost a draft pick. Keuchel wants way too much money and too many years right now and would also cost a draft pick. So we'll see.

AA has said he wants to keep money available for mid season trades that will add to payroll. He doesn't want to commit to long term, high dollar deals because he knows Albies and Acuna are going to get paid and Freeman is closing in on free agency himself. And Folty is also coming into his arbitration years as well. All of that amounts to a lot of money that will need to be available. And Realmuto ended up not being a real option do to the Braves having no intention of signing him to an extension. The Marlins wanted entirely too much for what would amount to two years, and to be honest, the Phillies will look like idiots if they don't sign him to a long term extension with what they gave up for him. I dont see the Nats or Phillies being all that improved so far. The Nats big signing was Corbin who has been slightly above average aside from his walk year. And Realmuto is only a slight upgrade offensively and a wash defensively over the catcher they traded to the Fish, plus they gave the Marlins a stud pitcher with a painfully high ceiling. And the Mets made some deals but did nothing for their anemic offense. Their big deal brought them a DH and a closer who will go from 50+ saves a season to 20-25 with that offense.

westcobbdog

Speaking of the exciting Albies, I hope he hit the weights hard in the off-season cause he could not handle the physical demands his first season called for, his numbers basically falling off at the half way point last season.

Biggdogg the diff between the Mets Nats and us is they have a wicked starting 5 rotation and ours is patch work at best. Julio wouldn’t even make their pen.

BornToHuntAndFish

With the Braves doing way better than expected last season, gonna be tough coming close to matching it again this season.

In case anyone's interested, here's AA offering more answers & details in a recent interview . . .

Time = 3:37
Anthopolous discusses Braves' camp, successful 2018
3 hours ago

Published on Feb 17, 2019

Peter Gammons talks with Alex Anthopolous about starting Spring Training this season after the success of the Braves in 2018

biggdogg

Speaking of the exciting Albies, I hope he hit the weights hard in the off-season cause he could not handle the physical demands his first season called for, his numbers basically falling off at the half way point last season.

Biggdogg the diff between the Mets Nats and us is they have a wicked starting 5 rotation and ours is patch work at best. Julio wouldn’t even make their pen.[/QUOTE]

Outside of the Nats adding Corbin and dumping Gio Gonzalez, all three rotations are pretty much the same... and the Mets and Nats both finished behind the Braves. Unless he has one of his odd season resurgences, I'd bet Julio isn't in the Braves starting rotation more than a couple months. If he's even wearing a Braves uniform that long. Hopefully the new pitching coach can help these kids stay in the strike zone more often and drastically cut down on the walks. I also wouldn't be surprised if a front end starter is acquired sometime mid season once some pretenders start to fall out of the division races.

BornToHuntAndFish

Updates from Spring Training . . . getting to know the new pitching coach, daily routine overview, & some cracks of the bat . . .

46-seconds
Spring Training. It All Starts Here.
10 hours ago

Published on Feb 18, 2019

Time = 3:16
New pitching coach Rick Kranitz from Braves Camp 2019
6 hours ago

Rick Kranitz, former pitching coach with the Phillies talks about what made the Atlanta job so desirable for him this offseason.

Time = 3:10
What Happened Today? 2-18-19
9 hours ago

(Kevin McAlpin, 680TheFanAtlanta

21-seconds

4-seconds

BornToHuntAndFish

Lots of preps going on getting ready for the early games. One of the sports news reports guessing more of the new players will travel for this Saturday's game, but the better game at home next Monday will have more of the experienced, veteran starters playing.

17-seconds
Who says you can’t teach an old skipper new tricks

69-seconds
How Does Snitker Feel About the New Season?
Atlanta Braves Head Coach Brian Snitker sits down with Buck & Kincade to discuss what he is expecting from the Braves for the upcoming season.

4-seconds

4-seconds

7-seconds

BornToHuntAndFish

BornToHuntAndFish

With the 1st grapefruit league Braves game tomorrow traveling 2 hours southeast of their current Florida Spring home, here's a few more ST updates.

25-seconds

10-seconds

52-seconds
Atlanta Braves picture day

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/mlb-announces-pitch-clock-for-spring-training

MLB announces pitch clock for spring games

3:09 PM EST

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/mike-soroka-shut-down-with-shoulder-tendinitis

Soroka shut down with shoulder discomfort

Braves prospect could be cleared next week after experiencing soreness in camp

3:38 PM EST

“I think he’ll be fine,” Snitker said. “Everything checks out fine. His strength is fine. Nothing is wrong. It’s just some tendinitis that probably barked up. When that happens, it’s best to shut them down a little bit and keep doing the exercises. Then, we’ll get him going.”

Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Good luck with your 60 win season

westcobbdog

Cool Brave stat I heard today.

How many MLB players played in all 162 last year?
7 total, and Freddie and Cakes were 2 of the 7.

Swamprat

Swamprat
who the Marlins? Show some repsect to the defending NL East Champs my man.

Not saying much in their division...most overrated team in the past 25 years and their post season record proves it. Marlins have won 2 World Series, Braves....1 and I am not counting when they were in other cities, Yeah first team to win 3 in 3 different cities 1914, 1957, and 1995 but don't care where you were based before. Change cities and to me it is a different franchise.

Marlins won both as wild card, never won a division title, Braves 13 division titles since 95 and 1 WS win in 95. Huh...never mind facts