Braves 2019 Spring Training

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Just heard That Mike Soroka is done for the year already. smh

BornToHuntAndFish

Just heard That Mike Soroka is done for the year already. smh

Yep, rumor has it that Dansby Swanson may be done for the year with sore wrist continuing from last season. smh

:wink:

biggdogg

The only thing I've read on Soroka and Swanson is that the team is being extra cautious with Swanson's return from a surgically repaired wrist. And from what I've read, Soroka is being shut down for the foreseeable future due to shoulder tendinitis from off season work outs. They've said the injury doesn't even necessitate an MRI. I wouldn't expect Soroka on the opening day roster though.

DannyW

The Swanson injury sounds like a recovery time issue. The Soroka deal sounds much more concerning...he was shut down, what, last August? At what point do you label an injury as chronic?

Soraka was very impressive last year. But if he has a chronic and lingering shoulder issue, at 21 YO, it may be time to move on....

westcobbdog

Not saying much in their division...most overrated team in the past 25 years and their post season record proves it. Marlins have won 2 World Series, Braves....1 and I am not counting when they were in other cities, Yeah first team to win 3 in 3 different cities 1914, 1957, and 1995 but don't care where you were based before. Change cities and to me it is a different franchise.

Marlins won both as wild card, never won a division title, Braves 13 division titles since 95 and 1 WS win in 95. Huh...never mind facts

Ok bro I will spell it out for you, Marlins and all Fla based big league baseball is a big unsupported joke!

biggdogg

Ok bro I will spell it out for you, Marlins and all Fla based big league baseball is a big unsupported joke!

Yep. Both WS titles were bought and paid for with high priced free agent deals. Both WS teams were dismantled and traded off for peanuts before the ticker tape was cleaned up. The previous owners of the Marlins have all but killed off the entire Miami baseball fan base and now they're desperately hoping Jeter can resuscitate it.

BornToHuntAndFish

Welcome back real Braves fans. Good having ya'll weigh in with some thoughts (good or bad, happy or sad or mad ones).

Time = 2-minutes
Brian Snitker following Sunday’s contest in West Palm
Kevin McAlpin catches up with the Braves skipper, recapping solid pitching performances from Folty, Bryse Wilson & Kyle Muller.

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like Freddie & Acuna are in today's starting lineup for the home opener.

Wonder when McCann & Donaldson will play, maybe wait to start in tomorrow's home game or substitute into today's game.

EDIT UPDATE:

Freddie & Acuna get 1st ST hits in same inning.

Braves - Bottom 4th

4th - F. Freeman homered to center, Albies scored.
4th - Acuña Jr. singled to left.

:bounce:

Last edited:

westcobbdog

If we get any pitching we should be better this year as we don’t have so many holes in the lineup. Josh and Dan both play tomorrow.

BornToHuntAndFish

Just joking around about Swanson & Soroka earlier. Time will tell or show us about 'em later. I'm still expecting these youngsters to recover & play this season, as long as they can stay healthy & avoid future injuries. Here's a bit more directly from them below.

Time = 3:27
Mike Soroka gives an update on his right shoulder
17 hours ago

Published on Feb 25, 2019

Braves starter Mike Soroka, shut down with shoulder soreness, gives and update on his health and when he’s expecting to resume throwing.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/soroka-has-shoulder-discomfort

Shoulder concerning, but Soroka optimistic

Pitcher says it's unrelated to previous injury

February 25, 2019

Given Soroka could be cleared to resume throwing exercises within the next few days, there’s certainly no reason to be overly worried about the right trapezius strain that led to him being shut down last week.

This ailment seems to be far less significant than the right scapula-related issue that forced him to miss most of last season’s final five months.

straining his trapezius muscle while lifting weights in late January

Time = 1:56
Dansby Swanson from the Braves Clubhouse at Disney 2019
Published on Feb 21, 2019

Dansby Swanson visits with the media, prior to the Braves first full squad workout of 2019

Time = 1:25

biggdogg

I am looking for Folty to take that next big step and solidify his place at the top of the rotation this season. His only obstacle will be continued control of his emotions, but he has the stuff to become the ace. I think this season Newcomb is where Folty was at the beginning of last season. Once he (and the majority of the staff) get the walks under control, this staff has a lot of potential. Toussaint is going to break out this season too. I wouldn't mind a late signing of a veteran like Gio Gonzalez to continue to mentor the youngsters the way Leibrandt (who remembers him? Hmmm?) did for a young Smoltz, Glavine and Avery.

BornToHuntAndFish

Newcomb & McCann in today's starting lineup.

Chipper making the rounds at Spring Training.

EDIT UPDATE below:

Encouraging words from McCann in brief video below praising the Braves minor league young wave after wave of arms coming up.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/video/mccann-on-1st-spring-game-of-19-c2523083583?t=t144-default-vtp

McCann on 1st spring game of '19

02/26/19

51-seconds

:bounce:

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

omg, omg, omg

Uh oh, Folty ain't feeling too good, unfortunately.

Gausman not doing well either.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/mike-foltynewicz-scratched-injury-spring-training

Folty scratched from start with elbow issue

2:51 PM EST

Mike Foltynewicz is already dealing with the elbow discomfort that he occasionally felt during last year’s breakout season

he will be evaluated by Braves head physician Dr. Gary Lourie on Saturday

All-Star hurler felt the discomfort after completing two innings in Sunday’s spring debut

Kevin Gausman has also been slowed because of a sore right shoulder

:eek:

Ben & Kev discuss Harper, Folty and more from Braves camp
Bryce is a Phillie, Folty is scratched and the NL East gets even tougher. That and more from Kevin McAlpin and Ben Ingram from Champion Stadium at Disney.

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

McCann in today's game lineup.

Swanson just removed from lineup due to surgically repaired left wrist soreness.

Donaldson not in lineup, but postponed a few more days.

EDIT UPDATE:

Looks like lots of precautionary actions being taken for arm & shoulder issues.

Time = 1:32
Brian Snitker gives an update on AJ Minter
Minter left Friday’s outing against the Blue Jays with a sore shoulder. Afterwards, Snit had this update on Minter.

Last edited:

DannyW

Roughly one week into spring training and we have Swanson, Donaldson, Minter and Soroka all nursing, or recovering from, injuries. Hopefully this turns around quickly or we could be in for a long season....

biggdogg

Swanson is recovering from surgery, some soreness is to be expected and he'll be fine. Donaldson isn't really having any lingering injury issues per se. He is more of an expensive investment that they're being cautious with. He's been in the league a long time. ST is more of a formality for him than anything else.

And like I said in another post, Minter is the only one I'd be real concerned with on the pitching side...