Brexit will cause border problems with Ireland, but I have a solution.

Thread starter #1

Balrog

https://www.yahoo.com/news/irish-border-riddle-still-confounds-144303511.html

The border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (which is part of UK) is an open border. It has been a controlled border in the past. This caused a lot of strife in Ireland, as their country was essentially divided by the occupying UK military. The border was a common site for strikes by the IRA, and much blood was shed because of it.

If UK leaves the EU, the border potentially could be hardened again, and reignite the Irish Repubican movement for a united Ireland.

The simple solution, which of course the Crown would never agree to, is to leave Northern Ireland and let the country Unite.

Otherwise, they just have to hope that the IRA has forgot how to build bombs.

The IRA has many more issues that did not involve the border. It is unlikely that the IRA, or any of their "daughter" groups, will choose to reignite a grossly unpopular terror campaign over a border inspection or export/import fee/tax/tariff.

It would be nice if the UK allowed Northern Ireland the choices of separate Commonwealth membership, remain a part of the UK, or join in a united Ireland. I do not see that happening!

rayjay

Northern Ireland wants to be in the UK

Thats why they are
Most of the Protestant people in Northern Ireland want to be in the UK. Most of the Catholic people in Northern Ireland want to be in Ireland.

Thread starter #7

Balrog

Thats why they are

Most of the people that want Northern Ireland to be in the UK are British occupiers living in Northern Ireland. You know, the ones that need to leave, one way or another.

Thread starter #9

Balrog

Not going to happen

NI will remain British
I think you are correct about that. The UK has given up most of its empire as it has slipped down the path to irrelevance, but for some reason, its holding on to Northern Ireland like grim death.

A hard border, which may inevitable with Brexit, will be a reminder to Irish republicans that they live in a divided land. It may bother some enough to provoke violence.

rayjay

India has a similar situation with Kashmir the difference being that much of India's river system originates in or north of Kashmir. Kashmir is mostly mudslime which would definitely be a point for getting rid of that thorn in your side but the fresh water issue has to be closely held.

Britain holding on to NI isn't driven by any strategic interest.

The economic difference between the two is pretty stark - NI has universal health care - Ireland has barely medical care. NI also has a much stronger economy than Ireland. I've never seen a place with so many folks limping or suffering with some sort of malady for lack of health care. There was a time when Ireland was on the verge of breaking out into a world leader in tech - then they got greedy and the unions ran off all that industry in short order. My wife and I went right after that happened - whole giant brand new subdivisions of homes were empty as the young Irish folks had financed their homes in the hope they could keep those jobs long term. Factories didn't just close - the companies even took the buildings with them when they left. Like it or not - Ireland needs NI to remain a partner. You cross the border from Ireland into NI by so much as even a block - those businesses would not take the euro - only the pound. Plus - Union Jacks line the border for miles as you drive from Ireland to NI. Close it off and I suspect there will be more issues between the two again.

drhunter1

I am Irish and Protestant and if I lived in NI, I would look at how GB has handled it’s affairs regarding the Islamic Horde invasion and no way in the world would I want to be part of GB.

Just sayin.

Thats why they are
After visiting Ireland, this statement is not universally true. Many in both parts of Ireland want it to be reunited. The only thing they fear is a break out of hostilities again between the two religious factions.

Thread starter #14

Balrog

I am Irish and Protestant and if I lived in NI, I would look at how GB has handled it’s affairs regarding the Islamic Horde invasion and no way in the world would I want to be part of GB.

Just sayin.
London should be renamed New Baghdad.

England has given itself away.

drhunter1

The problem with Ireland is that they don’t have enough people who are willing to fight for their sovereignty.

You can’t have small factions like the IRA do all the heavy lifting and expect success. Until Ireland is willing to Unite under that single cause England will remain their daddy.

Thread starter #16

Balrog

The problem with Ireland is that they don’t have enough people who are willing to fight for their sovereignty.

You can’t have small factions like the IRA do all the heavy lifting and expect success. Until Ireland is willing to Unite under that single cause England will remain their daddy.

It doesn't take as many as you might think. Only about 10% of the colonials fought in the American Revolution.

I don't think the British have the will to fight another long guerilla war with the IRA.

Of course, now, if the IRA splodes a bomb in London, they are more likely to kill Arabs than Englishmen.

Of course, now, if the IRA splodes a bomb in London, they are more likely to kill Arabs than Englishmen.
Other than the ensuing personal and real property destruction, where's the down side for that?:huh::bounce: