Browning 725 Sporting 20ga fail

Powerline

I drove down to Barrow in Butler and picked up a Browning 725 sporting in 20ga. I shot two rounds of sporting clays, 3 dove shoots this year and on my last dove shoot I fired two shots and that was it! They gun is completely locked up can’t open it! I was shooting Winchester AA #9. I called Browning they have no idea want me to send it back, I really don’t want to ship this thing. No telling what UPS will do to it! For what I paid I’m not happy at all!

BriarPatch99

It is most likely the bottom firing pin stuck out ....

If you are willing to try a trick .... slide a straight grain dowel rod down into the spent shell and give it a couple quick licks .... It may free up the firing pin and open ....clean and lube good if it does.

SC Hunter

If you are willing to try a trick .... slide a straight grain dowel rod down into the spent shell and give it a couple quick licks .... It may free up the firing pin and open ....clean and lube good if it does.
This EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

Interesting. Darn trick will probably work!

JMN1976

Also wiggle the trigger some - it may be bound up and not resetting allowing the firing pin to reset - kind of like keeping your finger on the trigger and pulled to the rear and trying to break open the action.

K80Shooter

Can you move the lever or is it stuck? You might need to remove the stock and then take a look in there. Maybe you can see something that way. Any "competent" gunsmith can look at it. Remember I said "competent".

Powerline

I don’t think it’s the firing pin. The lever will not move at all! I mean its completely stuck just like it sits no movement!

BriarPatch99

I don’t think it’s the firing pin. The lever will not move at all! I mean its completely stuck just like it sits no movement!

Then don't waste $1.75 on a good dowel rod ... Ship it back to Browning and wait a good eight months to get it back ....

I watched a man crawl under a car to remove a starter that would only "click" ....when he finally got under, he found he didn't have the correct size wrench ... I handed him a hammer ... he ask what am I going to with a hammer ....I told to tap the starter while I turned it ... he did .... as far as I know the starter is still working ...

JMN1976

My guess is the firing pin(s) are still extended into the chamber area. The top lever that opens the action will not turn if the firing pin is forward and is setup this way so that the gun cannot be opened which would break off the end of the firing pin. Your best bet is to try the dowel/trigger tricks and see if it frees up. If not remove the buttstock and you will be able to see the firing pins thru lever assembly for the opening latch on top of receiver. Taking the wood off will give you a good view of what is going on as well to better pinpoint the issue. My guess is it is a simple fix. Also try pushing up/down on the barrel assembly - you could have a primer that had a thin cup and the firing pin went thru the primer and is stuck - little up/down pressure may allow it to retract on its own if it was a primer failure and nothing to do with the gun at all. Also the primer could have setback lodging firing pin or making it stick as well binding up the action. The dowel trick is the cheapest thing to fix and try it on both top and bottom barrels as right now it is a guess as to which barrel is the culprit. Hoping you get it freed up

1568810633117.jpeg

Powerline

Checked the status of my gun today via the link provided by Browning, my shotgun shows as repaired and waiting on final inspection. I still don’t know what “ repair “ was completed, but I’m going to find out.

krizia829

When we used to assemble the shotguns for display at bass pro, sometimes that would happen to us. The lever going towards the stock would drop and not allow us to rack it back. We simply got a small enough rod and lifted the lever that you're talking about and racked the side lever back. Not sure why it happens but it does sometimes. We also heard from different manufacturers that winchester shells on semi-auto shotguns jam. This was a little while back so i'm not sure if they've fixed the problem but hey anything mechanical can fail. Even the most expensive of firearms can fail so don't be bummed out. It can always be fixed! Hope everything turned out good for ya!

Powerline

Well I got my Browning back today. Everything looks great dropped in two snap caps and she’s functions perfectly now. Still don’t know exactly what happened all the paperwork says is “minor repairs”. I am going to have to call Browning, but it looks to me like the bolt block was replaced.