brush clearing/pasture renovation project

nrh0011

Dad and I are clearing about 10 acres of thick brush on a piece of property we own. We also just had about 15 acres of pulpwood cut on this same parcel. Our overall goal is to turn the majority of it back into pasture except for the bottom (10-12 acres) which will serve as one large food plot. Over the past few days we have cleared about 2-3 acres. I'll be posting pics as the project unfolds.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Nice, keep us updated

Forest Grump

Liking that dozer with a brush blade in front of the solid one. Burn or rot your big stuff then spread it back out.

But you have some really sandy dirt, so you will need to use techniques to build OM in order to improve your nutrient-holding capacity.

It's always fun to start with a new property & see what you can do with it. Looks like you have an interesting challenge ahead...:flag:

nrh0011

Liking that dozer with a brush blade in front of the solid one. Burn or rot your big stuff then spread it back out.

But you have some really sandy dirt, so you will need to use techniques to build OM in order to improve your nutrient-holding capacity.

It's always fun to start with a new property & see what you can do with it. Looks like you have an interesting challenge ahead...:flag:

root rakes are a very efficient tool in helping conserve topsoil. We already have a topsoil pile started that we will spread back out at the end of this clearing process. As far as building back up OM goes I'll be looking to spread chicken litter then most of my plantings will be conservational tillage/no till.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
cheekun litter = many years of weeds and spraying.

Forest Grump

cheekun litter = many years of weeds and spraying.

The weeds will come from that dozer exposing the dirt; the chicken litter just provides them fertilizer. Chickens nowadays are fed a pelleted ration in the poultry industry, so it doesn't contain the seeds that it used to. Plenty of chemicals available to him to control pasture weeds with just one spraying now too, as long as they aren't cutting hay. Litter adds a little OM & more valuable bacteria to bring that soil back to health & productivity.

nrh0011

After two days we have quite the burn pile on our hands. Time to make a new one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,922

Big7

The Oracle
Bottom plow.
Biggest, deepest one you can pull.

My Dad and Uncle leased out my Grandparents estate about 4-5 years ago. It was a working farm at one time.

Anyhooo... Short version:

It was all grown up even to the point of 6" saplings and anything else you can think of.

The guy that leased it cleared it off, burned some stuff
then pulled a massive bottom plow thru it.
Does just what it's supposed to do. Pull the good dirt back to the top.

Then ran a disc smoothing harrow over it and planted field crop.
Looks as good now as I have ever seen it and man was it a mess.

You have it looking good so far!

nrh0011

Bottom plow.
Biggest, deepest one you can pull.

My Dad and Uncle leased out my Grandparents estate about 4-5 years ago. It was a working farm at one time.

Anyhooo... Short version:

It was all grown up even to the point of 6" saplings and anything else you can think of.

The guy that leased it cleared it off, burned some stuff
then pulled a massive bottom plow thru it.
Does just what it's supposed to do. Pull the good dirt back to the top.

Then ran a disc smoothing harrow over it and planted field crop.
Looks as good now as I have ever seen it and man was it a mess.

You have it looking good so far!

Thanks! I have a moldboard plow I've been thinking about putting to use once the time comes which will probably be this spring after I get it limed. we are hoping to hit a pretty good lick over the weekend!

nrh0011

We were down for the better part of the weekend repairing a broken bearing for the twist cylinder on the blade. Still got some clearing done today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,568