Bryson City N.C.

reelsouthern1220

Hey guys! A couple buddies and I are heading up with our wives next week for the holiday. We are staying between Bryson City and Cherokee. We are from Florida and are all avid fishermen, but mostly salt water and no fly fishing experience to speak of. I know the basics but that is about it. We are hoping to break away for a day or two and spend some time fishing. We would really like to try some fly fishing for trout being that it is not something we can get at home. Anyway, I have started doing some research, but thought maybe some of you guys would have some tips on where to start for simple wade fishing. We won't have all the time in the world, so hoping to find some decent action the couple of afternoons that we can break free. If nothing else, just to enjoy the scenery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Meriwether Mike

Go to the Tuckasegee Fly Shop on Main Street in Bryson City and they can point you in the right direction.

The mtn man

What he said, there's all kinds of good advice on here, but the good advice all depends on what your looking to do, are you looking to fish for specs in small high elevation streams, or wild rainbows and browns from bigger water, or hatchery supported water? Your possibilities are endless.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're just wanting to catch some trout, go a few miles up 19 to the Cherokee reservation, get a permit, and have at the stockers. There are some good wild trout waters around there like Deep Creek, etc., but they can be tough in the summertime even for experienced fly fishermen.

reelsouthern1220

If you're just wanting to catch some trout, go a few miles up 19 to the Cherokee reservation, get a permit, and have at the stockers. There are some good wild trout waters around there like Deep Creek, etc., but they can be tough in the summertime even for experienced fly fishermen.

Yea, we fished deep creek a little bit last year but did not have much luck at all. Being fishermen, we know nothing is a sure thing. We are realistic and don't expect to catch em hand over fist, just hoping to get in a area to have a decent shot and see how we like the fly fishing deal. I looked at some of the reservation info this morning, that sounded interesting for sure.

I planned on stopping by the fly shop and seeing what kind of info we could stir up and buy some supplies. Thanks for the tips guys!

ssramage

Go to the Tuckasegee Fly Shop on Main Street in Bryson City and they can point you in the right direction.

^This.

We stumbled upon this place last year during our family vacation for the Polar Express. We plan on doing a yearly family trip now to the area and to stay at the Hemlock Inn. I plan on booking a guided trip with these guys this year.