Bryson City / Silva?

TomC

Any good campgrounds near Bryson City or Silva? On or near a river or stream would be an added bonus. I’ll be staying in a tent but would like a campground where I can take a shower. Got a bunch of flies tied and turkey season has been SLOW so thinking a little fly fishing is in order. Thanks in advance!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty of them. The National Park campground at Deep Creek is a good base. When you get into Cherokee, there are loads of campgrounds. And plenty of fishing through the whole area, both for stocked trout and wild ones. Not quite as many good streams around Sylva as there are around Bryson City and Cherokee.

TomC

Thank you sir for the input! Going to try me some Euro Nymphing this year. Never fly fished in W. NC and never Euro Nymphed. Looks like a boring way to fly fish but supposedly effective. If I don't enjoy it there will be an Orvis Recon Euro Nymph rod in the classifieds shortly :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you sir for the input! Going to try me some Euro Nymphing this year. Never fly fished in W. NC and never Euro Nymphed. Looks like a boring way to fly fish but supposedly effective. If I don't enjoy it there will be an Orvis Recon Euro Nymph rod in the classifieds shortly :)
I've been trying it a little myself this year. There's a learning curve, but it definitely works.

flyrod444

I've nymph fished 40 plus years watching the leader or end of fly line for the strike. Bought a 10' 3 wt recon last spring and set it up with 20 ft or so of mono for eruo nymphing. Caught plenty of fish with this set up but found it lacking if one needed to make longer cast. What I started doing is to attach a 9' leader directly to the end of fly line, cut around 3' of the tippet end off and tie in the multi colored leader material in and then tie in about 4 to 5 ft. of what ever tippet you want to use. High stick it on the drift keeping some or all the colored leader material out of the water so you can see the strike. This has proved to be one of the most effective ways I've ever fished med. or smaller streams. With my set up I can simply change to a dry or streamer and fish it no changing out leader and stuff. I also use 4 wt line on my 3 wt recon.
Tight Lines,
Jack

Taxman

Deep creek campground Has showers. Several tent sites on the river if they are available. Not sure of the reservation system for that site but reserving will save you a spot. Non shower backcountry campsites are about 3 bucks a night and I think deep creek with showers is 12 or 18. Btw, I had a friend stay at the Bryson city Hostel. He said it was clean and cheap!!

Not sure of your nymphing set up but carrying an extra spool for your reel loaded with #4 line will allow you to quickly switch to casting dries.

Good luck:))))

TomC

Deep Creek it will be. If the "gobbling" don't pick up in the next week or two I may head that way shortly. FlyRod444......looks like you've got it figured out. I sort of figured my 10'3" Recon would be a one trick pony but looks like that's not the case.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've nymph fished 40 plus years watching the leader or end of fly line for the strike. Bought a 10' 3 wt recon last spring and set it up with 20 ft or so of mono for eruo nymphing. Caught plenty of fish with this set up but found it lacking if one needed to make longer cast. What I started doing is to attach a 9' leader directly to the end of fly line, cut around 3' of the tippet end off and tie in the multi colored leader material in and then tie in about 4 to 5 ft. of what ever tippet you want to use. High stick it on the drift keeping some or all the colored leader material out of the water so you can see the strike. This has proved to be one of the most effective ways I've ever fished med. or smaller streams. With my set up I can simply change to a dry or streamer and fish it no changing out leader and stuff. I also use 4 wt line on my 3 wt recon.
Tight Lines,
Jack
That some of the same progression I've been going through, you're just a year ahead of me.

Deep Creek it will be. If the "gobbling" don't pick up in the next week or two I may head that way shortly. FlyRod444......looks like you've got it figured out. I sort of figured my 10'3" Recon would be a one trick pony but looks like that's not the case.
I'm wanting to try my 10' 3 wt with dries, too. I'm thinking it will really help with keeping line off the water on those small stream crosscurrents. I've stripped some streamers with it, and it did good.