BTR or B&C scoring method?

Fairest method of scoring bucks?

• BTR

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • B&C

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

RThomas

My questions is, which scoring method do believe is the fairest way to score bucks? I'm not asking whether you believe there should be a scoring system, or your philosophy on how scoring animals is unethical, ect.
The fact is, scoring deer is a major part of our sport. Some hunters make a lot of money from endorsement deals, shows, stories, ect after taking a high scoring animal. Scores are also used in contests such as GON and other big deer events. And, sometimes we just want to know the score to get an idea of how big a deer is.
There are a few major differences between the two systems. BTR does not include the spread or measurement differences (deductions) in their system- B&C does. There is also a difference in how differenct types of racks are categorized.
Both systems measure mainbeam length, tine length, and circumfrences. B&C also adds the inside spread. B&C then deducts the differences of the corresponding measurements to obtain a net score. BTR only takes the measurements and adds them together for a score without taking deductions or adding the spread.
Ideally, which would you say is the fairest way to score an animal?
Note that I am not in anyway affiliated with either group!

RThomas

Anyone have an opinion on why you think one method is more fair than the other? ::huh:

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
Im not familiar with BTR, whats the difference?

RThomas

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
BTR sounds fair enough, but IMO there should only be one standard system for antler measurement. one or the other.

Carp

I don't like the deductions B&C uses for not being perfectly symmetrical. Spread is a measurement of air, which would count against any rack that wasn't wide. I guess when they started B&C a bunch of guys got together and decided what the perfect set of antlers was in their minds. I like the idea of giving the animal credit for what God gave it.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
The BTR method is probably the fairest method, though the B&C method has been around way way way longer and is the method most widely known and used for record keeping. For consistency and comparison sake, I prefer to stick with the B&C method rather than the Johnny come lately method... ;) :)

Handgunner

I think the BTR is the most fairest to the animal. It gives credit where credit is due. It doesn't take away imperfections...