Buck Hunters

Deerman

Do any of you just strickly hunt bucks, and leave the does along. I always see my biggest bucks when I just sit and watch the does go by. I will take a doe every now and then though. but most of the time I will just sit and watch the does.

mpowell

i've become more selective, that's for sure

i've already passed up a basket 6 and a long cowhorn spike still in velvet (tom borck passed up this one also) so far this year. not to mention four yearlings and two does. killed a doe on wednesday.

i'm looking to take nice does and nice bucks. there are plenty of does for meat but goodness knows i don't shoot the first one i see. no reason to kill a little buck for meat. let him live!

once the end of bow season and beginning of gun season rolls around i won't shoot initial does i see for hopes of seeing a curious buck on her trail.

i've never been one to subscribe to the theory of not shooting any does. that's crazy. there are PLENTY of them where i live. i'll shoot a fat doe over a young buck every time.

Last edited:

Randy

I have not killed a doe in about 10 years. But I might knock a few out this year.

Hardy

GONetwork Member
I like to get a couple of does during bow season and buck hunt the rest of the year. I won't shoot a doe after the rut starts unless I decide to take one at the end of the season.

LKennamer

Rarely kill bucks

Personally I don't shoot bucks unless I plan to mount them or the owner/host asks me to take a particular buck. I hadn't taken a buck until last January in about six years. He happened to gross over 160, so it may be a while before I take another. I like to take several does a year for the freezer. I like to watch the smaller bucks interact with the does when I can...guess I'm a voyeur! :p

Rebel 3

I the last few years I would not even shoot a doe during bow season. This year I might try to shoot a doe with a bow, but once muzzle loader season starts it will be around Thanksgiving or after before I consider shooting a doe. I havn't shot a doe in about three years. If I kill two nice bucks early, then I will let the does have it. I would drop everyone that comes by.

Jeff Phillips

I usually shoot my does late on morning hunts and right at dark on evening hunts, during rifle season. I'll take 1 ant time with my bow ;)

I wait until I'm sure they arn't being followed before I shoot 1.

Timberman

I kill them religiously every year. Usually early and late season about 8-10 a year. I consider it one of my main contributions to herd health. If people hunt with me and kill a buck and don't kill a doe and had the chance, they hunt with me no more...

AliBubba

I generally try to get a doe before a buck. Does are better eating and easer to get. It also helps the doe/buck balance. This year (see my post in the GA regions) I arrowed a good buck in Carroll Co. Now I am after a fat doe!

Glen

We're allowed one buck here in my neck of the woods. 3 deer total for the season. I'll fill the 1st tag with a nice doe. After that I'm looking for something nice to mount. Toward the end of the season it's freezer time again tho.

short stop

I do -- I figure if why shoot does in good buck country ,meaning those spots you dream about . rubs an scrapes w/ lots o sign .Why spoil a good thing ! We can tag out on does in fields well away from core buck areas .

BassWorm

I'll take a doe in a heartbeat. A smaller buck gets a pass. Larger buck gets lead poisoning. :bounce:

leadoff

GONetwork Member
It has been a couple of years since I have killed a doe. We have a great doe to buck ratio on our place right now. If I feel that the does need thinning (or if I want some tasty venison), I will do it early in the season, like Jeff said, late in the morning or just before dark. Sometimes I will take my pistol with the intention of shooting the first doe I see.

As far as hunting bucks goes, I don't subscribe to the thought of "take one better than the one before." If I see a good, mature buck, I am taking him. I, of course, have a standard in my head of what a good mature buck is. I let a nice eight walk last year that I would have killed had I not already taken a good eleven earlier in the season. (I am glad I let him walk, too!) It all depends. I am all for culling out some freak bucks, too!!! :shoot:

E

Etter1

If you care about your land. You should all be killing does. If you take them out before the rut, you will get a stronger and more competitive rut as well.

Meriwether Mike

If your heard is balanced and the vegetation shows no browse line then you can let them walk. If not then you need to serve as the management tool we are to be and take a few out. I will take the first one I see that has some decent size and let the small bucks walk.

H

HT2

Bucks - Does.....

I only shoot does in Archery season.....

I don't shoot them with my rifle........Now, I may take one or two with my muzzleloader this year though.....

We'll just have to see.....

But, once Rifle season is here......

It's "BUCKS ONLY"!!!!!!!!!!

beginnersluck

bucks

I usually let a lot of does pass. I like to watch the does and a lot of times they bring in bucks. I usually only take 2 does, and that is late in the season.

Arrow Flinger

Etter1 said:
If you care about your land. You should all be killing does. If you take them out before the rut, you will get a stronger and more competitive rut as well.

No offense but doe harvest should be determained on an individual land basis. I care so much about our land that I don't shoot more than 1 doe a year off of it. The population is low right now due to the mindset of a couple of clubs that use to be in the area. They felt they should shoot every doe they see to aid in trophy managment. Then land ownership changed every year or so, clubs knew they only had a 1 year lease and killed every deer they saw. Things have settled down now and there was a increase in the population last year and I hope to see it get back in another couple but until then, most of the does will walk on the farm.

Latest posts