Bucks are shedding

Our club saw 3 different bucks with only one side in Hancock.

How old u think this one is

Attachments

• 4E4FF2F7-670D-4F2B-8F26-5C694E792DB7.jpeg
    4E4FF2F7-670D-4F2B-8F26-5C694E792DB7.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 423

Stumper

I'm in Hancock Co. too, and they are shedding early this year, local deer cooler said a few were dropped off last weekend thinking they shot a doe.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
My son shot what he thought was a big doe on 12/30 in Jasper County. Turned out to be an old buck with hardly any teeth and antlers already dropped.

Last edited:

buckpasser

Looks 2.5 to me.

ryanh487

There's a 1.5 YO 6 point with half his rack missing that visits my neighbor's corn pile in Kennesaw. Heck he could have lost the other side over the last week too, he's usually with the big group of does and fawns every evening and I haven't seen any antlers in the group the last few days.

This weekend is either big buck or big doe weekend for me at deer camp and i'll be checking their heads very carefully before pulling the trigger.

busta cap

huntin for big nasty
Thats a 3.5yr old Hancock Special... coolers are full of them every season... It has always been crazy down there with bucks dropping there horns early as long as I have hunted down there...and thats been a minute.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep. I saw a forkhorn 4 pt that had shed one side last weekend and got camera pics of two more that have shed one side. It's early for this to be happening. Around my parts shedding doesn't usually start until mid February. Must be the warm weather.

fishman1957

We have at least 3 in Webster that have shed not sure why but they are all worn down a lot of fighting this year and late rut !!!!!!

Deernut3

I think the early shedding is tied to the acorn crop failure. The deer on our lease are HUNGRY like i've never seen them before.