buckshot question

jmoser

After tests I got good results at 50 yd with fed 3" flight control and IC/LM extended tubes in my 870.

SBE with win double X 3" did OK in my old Comp-n-choke .665" turkey tube, not as good with patternmaster and surprisingly not well with Fed flight control and any choke.

I did notice that the Win double X does not have a plastic shot cup at all, just a fiber wad under the shot. Fresh snow on the range made finding the wads real easy, the Fed FC flew 40 yards downrange. So the PM choke with wad stopper is probably not a great choice for this Win shell, PM constriction is not that much.

Fun way to spend a cold Feb Saturday!

One of the hardest things to get across to many shotgunners is that taking the time to discover how their particular Shotgun/Choke/Buckshot load actually patterns, before heading to the woods, is important. A given shotgun/choke/load combination may not necessarily pattern the way another identical setup will.

That is not to say one cannot make informed choices in the choke tube and buckshot ammuntion market. However, Ronald Reagan's line "Trust but verify" applies here as well.

Last edited:

Buckman18

After reading this thread, I was curious how my shotgun performed with buckshot. I have never shot a round of buckshot until last week. To start with, I just got what Walmart had. My shotgun is a Traditions ALS 2100 semi auto 12 gauge. It was incredible the difference the chokes made...

Winchester 3 inch 00 15 pellet (grey box)
Winchester 2 3/4 00 9 pellet
Remington 3 inch 00 15 pellet
Federal 2 3/4 inch 00 9 pellet

I shot at 12 inch splatter targets at 25 yards and then at 45 yards for each. Here are the best results I had with the best pattern choke used:

Win 3 inch: Modified choke. at 25 yards, 12 out of 15 in the target, at 45 yards 6 out of 15. I think this would be doable?

Win 2 3/4: modified choke. At 25 yards, 6 out of 9. At 45, 3 out of nine. No go for me.

Remington: Cylinder Choke. At 25, 6 out of 15 was the best I could get out of all my chokes. Run out before I could try at 45. My gun did not like these at all.

Federal 2 3/4: modified. At 25, 8 out of 9! But at 45, just 3 out of 9... Not good enough...

Out of these for me: I'd go with the win 3 inch 00.

Also, I'm going to order some win XX, federal flight control, and hornady self defense and try them next... Will post results.

This was a ton of fun! And... My shoulder is in agony...

Buckman18

You mentioned patterning with Federal 00B with out identifying the load.

Federal offers three different types of 00 buckshot loads:

- Power Shok:
Lead, buffered, plastic shot cup, conventional 3 per layer pellet stack.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ge-3-buffered-00-buckshot-15-pellets-box-of-5

- Premium Vital Shok:
Copper plated - high antimony lead, buffered, spiral - offset pellet layering for better patterns in full choke constrictions.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...00-copper-plated-buckshot-15-pellets-box-of-5

-Premium Vital Shock - with Flite Control Wad:
Copper plated, high antimony lead, buffered, spiral pellet stack, Flite-Control Wad providing tight patterns with less choke constriction.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...buckshot-12-pellets-flitecontrol-wad-box-of-5

I've only linked 3" versions here for reference.

The difference between the Power Shok and Vital Shok loads, in full choke shotguns, is often hard to believe.

The Vital Shok with Flite Control Wad, markedly tightens patterns from more open chokes, although some tighter chokes respond quite well also.

Some have even described Flite Control Buckshot as having "the choke built into the wad."

Buckman18

Buckman18

You mentioned patterning with Federal 00B with out identifying the load.

Federal offers three different types of 00 buckshot loads:

- Power Shok:
Lead, buffered, plastic shot cup, conventional 3 per layer pellet stack.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ge-3-buffered-00-buckshot-15-pellets-box-of-5

- Premium Vital Shok:
Copper plated - high antimony lead, buffered, spiral - offset pellet layering for better patterns in full choke constrictions.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...00-copper-plated-buckshot-15-pellets-box-of-5

-Premium Vital Shock - with Flite Control Wad:
Copper plated, high antimony lead, buffered, spiral pellet stack, Flite-Control Wad providing tight patterns with less choke constriction.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...buckshot-12-pellets-flitecontrol-wad-box-of-5

I've only linked 3" versions here for reference.

The difference between the Power Shok and Vital Shok loads, in full choke shotguns, is often hard to believe.

The Vital Shok with Flite Control Wad, markedly tightens patterns from more open chokes, although some tighter chokes respond quite well also.

Some have even described Flite Control Buckshot as having "the choke built into the wad."

The federal I used was just the cheap power shok at Walmart. I'm going to get some of the better stuff and try it next.

ishootlittlebucks

If you're ordering it anyway, do yourself a favor and order some winchester 3" 000. They've always been great in guns I've patterned. I've heard the same thing about Remington 3" 000, but I've never tried it.

Buckman18

10-4. 3 boxes of Rem 3 inch 000 on the way. Couldn't find Win 000.

What choke works best in y'all's gun with the 000? Is it safe to try full, or should I start with modified and work down toward cylinder?

ishootlittlebucks

I've always had best results with everything, including 000 with a full choke. I think the reason 000 shoots so well is because it's stacked 2x2. I don't know why that is, but I handload a 16 gauge 00 load stacked 2x2 that is bad. My wifes model 12 16ga will put all 10 00s in 12-13" at 40 yards.

GunnSmokeer

I buy ammo locally, not order it online.
Do most gun shops or sporting goods stores have 000 buckshot?
I don't recall ever seeing anything bigger than 00.

ishootlittlebucks

I have found 000 in 3" on the shelf of small shops, but usually have to order it. As far as I know, no one has ever made a 3.5" 000. I have played with handloading some. You can barely fit 14 000 in a roll crimped 3.5" shell. I have almost used up my stash of shells my gun likes. Gonna try to nail down a load (00 or 000) before I have to buy more.

Buckman18

The 000 performed much better out of my gun than the 00. I had all 10 of 10 pellets in a 6 inch area that I could cover with my hand at 30 yards. At 50 yards, had 6 out of 10 in a 12 inch area. This was with a factory full choke.

Next I'm gonna order some #1's and #4's and see how they do...

Osceola Guy

I hunt with buckshot for coyotes with either my 12 gauge benelli semi auto with a patternmaster shooting federal powershok 3 inch #4 buckshot or my 12 gauge browning bps with a dead deer choke shooting remington 3 inch #4 buckshot. Both guns will pattern at least 5 to 6 pellets of either gun/ load in a 10 inch circle at 60 yards. When shooting a grown buck or doe deer��behind dogs I prefer either of my two shotguns with a Patternmaster shooting Winchester 3 inch #1 buckshot either gun will give me 6 to 7 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 50 yards. Still hunting for deer I like to use my above browning bps with a Trulock extended skeet choke tube shooting federal premium 3 inch with flight control. I get at least 6 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 50 yards. Dave

common man

This is the shotgun I have been working on for my purpose of the original post

Attachments

• IMG_20170227_184707173.jpg
    IMG_20170227_184707173.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 509

Buckman18

I shot some Winchester 3 inch #1 Buck with 24 pellets today... From exactly 30 yards, the factory modified choke put 12 in a 12 inch circle, with the other 12 in 24 inches... With a factory full choke, had 16 in 12 inches and 8 in 24 inches. With a Primos Tight Wad .660 turkey choke, had 21 of 24 inside of 12 inches, 2 pellets within 16 inches, and 1 that was unaccounted for.

I've now tested 000, 00, and #1 buck. I've found what my gun likes with all 3 varieties...

If you had MY gun, would you prefer to shoot your deer with 10 of 10 000 pellets, 12 of 15 00 pellets, or 21 of 24 #1 pellets? I have NEVER shot at a deer with a shotgun, and thought about trying one this coming fall. I've already got about $60.00 in buckshot test! What say you?