Busted!

Buckman18

On Saturday, KillerKyle and I decided to venture to the back of beyond up in the old Lake Burton WMA and Trey Mtn Wilderness area. We made about an 8 mile round trip hike trying to locate an active gobbler, and stopping and calling in likely looking places along the way. And, as always, scoping out old buck sign for our next big buck...

Unfortunately, our efforts were only rewarded with a couple of hens. Zero gobblers heard, much to our surprise and dismay. But, we did find some promising buck sign, and will be returning come fall...

On the walk out, we heard the unmistakable rev of dirt bikes up in the wilderness, miles beyond the closed gate. As they got closer, Kyle and I quickly decided to give them the road, he moved to one side, and I to the other. About that time, here they come. Three of them. Tearing up the road and causing erosion in sensitive wild trout habitat.. I didn't mind too much until I saw they weren't local mtn folks like us. Instead, they were granola heads from parts unknown (mountain folks don't wear those goofy clothes). Anyway, when they saw us, they panicked, turned around quickly and raced out of there. One of the clowns even laid his bike over! Neither Kyle nor I ever said the first word. But, I did manage to snap a couple pics since they weren't local boys. I hope they stay out of our mountains from now on.

deerhuntingdawg

I hope they get busted...some folks have so sense
Unbelievable!

bilgerat

Senior
Lol, I was thinking the same thing , I would had let a few 12guage warning shots go as they departed

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Glad it was the non mountain people to blame for tearing up the trails. The mountain folks ride different dirt bikes and use different riding techniques that don't tear up the trails. And it wouldn't be ethical to hope they got busted.

Killer Kyle

Glad it was the non mountain people to blame for tearing up the trails. The mountain folks ride different dirt bikes and use different riding techniques that don't tear up the trails. And it wouldn't be ethical to hope they got busted.

x2!! Well said!! You musta been raised in the hills too! :cool:

Last edited:

Killer Kyle

Haha.....Those boys were scared to death!! That poor boy laid over his bike trying to get turned around. Buckman, I wish somebody had taken a picture of us standing there stoic as statues. Them boys didn't like the sight of those boom sticks!!!

turkeykirk

Some people don't pay attention to the rules. Believe the Oakley Mt. ORV trail is a few miles from there . Ride all they want for $5 a day.

Buckman18

Some people don't pay attention to the rules. Believe the Oakley Mt. ORV trail is a few miles from there . Ride all they want for $5 a day.

$5 would've been a heckuva lot cheaper than if Mr. Green Jeans reads this thread and can make out their tag number!

jbogg

The locked gates don't mean a thing to some of those folks. What chaps my hide more than anything are the go fast bikes and cars with the go pro cameras stuck all over their cars and helmets that scream up and down HW 348 all weekend long trying to break their own personal speed records. I was driving up to Tesnatee Gap a few weeks ago and had a guy in a little two seater go fast car get loose on a turn coming down the mountain and slide completely into my lane. I had to stand on my brakes to avoid a head on collision. I have yet to see the first LEO car posted up on Richard Russell in over a year.

Killer Kyle

Well, Habersham is still flat land I'm sure. Banks is south of there

I grew up in the FOOThills, not the big hills UNFORTUNATELY. Don't underestimate Habersham now! There's hills in that county. Specks too!

Buckman18

Well, Habersham is still flat land I'm sure. Banks is south of there

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Habersham County has tops over 4,000 ft, as does Rabun, Towns, White, Fannin, Union, Gilmer, Lumpkin, and Murray Counties.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
x2!! Well said!! You musta been raised in the hills too! :cool:

My opinion is....somebody who is riding those roads and tearing stuff up is hurting it for all the folks who obey the rules and walk in. Don't matter where they're from. I would feel no different if the guys were from Rabun County or NYC.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Habersham County has tops over 4,000 ft, as does Rabun, Towns, White, Fannin, Union, and Murray Counties.

It was a bit of sarcasm.....sorry if it went over your head. Yeah, my family is still there. I know a little about it :D

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I've got a simple mind! You've gotta keep your jokes simple or I won't get them!

Oh.....I didn't know you didn't get it either. Sorry. Glad I got the chance to lay it all out

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Y'all wanna get together and ride some4 wheelers up there some time? Pm me, I can be there quick!:cool:

Buckman18

Oh.....I didn't know you didn't get it either. Sorry. Glad I got the chance to lay it all out

I got it. I just didn't think it was funny. :crazy: