Butternut or Sassafras?

Jody Hawk

Help me out fellows. I'm ordering a new box call from MidWest Turkey Call Supply and can't decide between butternut and sassafras. The box is made by Martin Brothers. Both boxes have walnut lids. Which wood sounds best to you?

Jody Hawk

Dalton,
I was leaning towards the butternut. Do you know anything about the maker, J.D. "Peck" Martin. It says that he has received over 50 awards of recognition at the NWTF's Annual Grand National call making competitions. I just like the look of his boxes and thought for $25.95 I'd try one.

gobblinglawyer

I know Peck Martin. He's a good guy and makes a decent call. It's of the sawn and glued variety so some are really, really good while others aren't so hot.

You should be OK at that price, though. I'd definitely get the butternut from Martin Bros. I have two at home that sound really good. He also makes a good scratch box and slate calls.

Gadget

Although tempting, I won't buy a box or just about any call with out being able to play it first; seen way too many that just didn't sound good, but like you say it's only twenty something bucks.

Jody Hawk

Gadget,
Normally I wouldn't but I just like the look of this box and it's only twenty something bucks. I thought that if I don't like it then I'll sell it on the Swap and Sell and brag about all of them birds that I killed with it !!! :bounce:

GAGE

GONetwork Member
GLawyer,

You must have one heck of a collection! If we are able to go this spring, I would sure like to see it!

Gage

gobblinglawyer

Any time guys. Just give me a couple of days notice so I can straighten up my "turkey room".

I am very proud of my collection. I don't have a lot of money tied up in it, but it does number around 3500 calls.

short stop

wow --I thoght I thought I had something with around 50 better crawl back under the porch :bounce: SS

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Yeah, that is what I am talking about!

My number is in the 20's but it is growing! :fine:

Gage

Gadget

Jody Hawk said:
Gadget,
Normally I wouldn't but I just like the look of this box and it's only twenty something bucks. I thought that if I don't like it then I'll sell it on the Swap and Sell and brag about all of them birds that I killed with it !!! :bounce:
...........LOL

Yeah I don't blame ya, there's a couple I'd like to order too over at Midwest. I gave a couple of boxes away last year that I bought without trying out first so I made note to self "Don't Do That Any More!"..........heheh

Now with mouth calls that's a different story, I try new ones every year and always end up throwing some away.

Last edited:

CAL

What happened to the warranty guys?I guarantee everyone I build to be satisfactory against anything.It must be satisfactory or I will refund the purchase price or make the purchaser a new call.No questions asked either.If the buyer doesn't like the call,as far as I am concerned I still own it!
I'm in the business of making good calls that will work.Making money is not the object to me.