buying an old knife blade

Anvil Head

A lot of old blades have been repurposed this way and it is a good way to learn the mechanics of knife building/fabrication. You might try a few of the local Thrift Stores for recyclable blades. Just try to stay away from the Chinese & Pakistani junk.

An alternative would be to buy a blade blank from one of the knife supply companies like Jantz, Texas Knife Supply, etc. Google. Not sure if Pops over in Washington, GA sells blanks but he has a website and is good to deal with. Same with Old Towne Cutlery in Dawsonville.
I also offer, as many of the other custom makers that frequent here, hand forged knife blanks. If you have a specific size/shape/style and can provide a pic or sketch, anyone of us can provide you with a custom blade for your project. (just not before Christmas)

It's a pretty straight forward and simple process. Biggest issue you will have is getting the inside of the slab handles completely flat. Use sand paper on a hard flat surface and scrub until "true" flat, or you will have fitting issues.
Also, do not use 5 min epoxy. It will set before you are ready and it is the weakest of all the epoxies with low end thermal, moisture and bonding properties. Be just a little patient and use long set epoxy that takes 24 hrs to totally cure. Very much worth the wait.

No matter which way you end up going with the project be sure to post pics here. If you run into technical difficulties or have questions to detailed to ask here, PM me and I will try to respond in a timely fashion.

NMH5050

A lot of old blades have been repurposed this way and it is a good way to learn the mechanics of knife building/fabrication. You might try a few of the local Thrift Stores for recyclable blades. Just try to stay away from the Chinese & Pakistani junk.

An alternative would be to buy a blade blank from one of the knife supply companies like Jantz, Texas Knife Supply, etc. Google. Not sure if Pops over in Washington, GA sells blanks but he has a website and is good to deal with. Same with Old Towne Cutlery in Dawsonville.
I also offer, as many of the other custom makers that frequent here, hand forged knife blanks. If you have a specific size/shape/style and can provide a pic or sketch, anyone of us can provide you with a custom blade for your project. (just not before Christmas)

It's a pretty straight forward and simple process. Biggest issue you will have is getting the inside of the slab handles completely flat. Use sand paper on a hard flat surface and scrub until "true" flat, or you will have fitting issues.
Also, do not use 5 min epoxy. It will set before you are ready and it is the weakest of all the epoxies with low end thermal, moisture and bonding properties. Be just a little patient and use long set epoxy that takes 24 hrs to totally cure. Very much worth the wait.

No matter which way you end up going with the project be sure to post pics here. If you run into technical difficulties or have questions to detailed to ask here, PM me and I will try to respond in a timely fashion.

Thanks Anvil. PM will be sent now.

Latest posts