Cades Cove Sunrise

natureman

Great shot and no traffic. I went there for the first time 3 years ago on an overcast winter day. Arrived at 1030am and was not expecting bumper to bumper traffic all through the park. I was so disappointed I vowed never to give it another chance. The park is definitely being overused which is sad due to its rich history and scenery.

turkeykirk

Glenn

Great shot and no traffic. I went there for the first time 3 years ago on an overcast winter day. Arrived at 1030am and was not expecting bumper to bumper traffic all through the park. I was so disappointed I vowed never to give it another chance. The park is definitely being overused which is sad due to its rich history and scenery.

Well I took this on a Saturday and they don't open the gates until 10:00 am or 10:30 am. So the loop is open to only bikes and foot traffic, but the bike traffic was just as bad if not worse than the cars. I walked the entire loop that day with my monopod, two DSLR's, lenses etc...

I was toast once I made it back out...

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Well I took this on a Saturday and they don't open the gates until 10:00 am or 10:30 am. So the loop is open to only bikes and foot traffic, but the bike traffic was just as bad if not worse than the cars. I walked the entire loop that day with my monopod, two DSLR's, lenses etc...

I was toast once I made it back out...
I think they do the same on Wednesdays too.
We love Cades Cove!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One of the most beautiful places in the south!
Yeah, if you could get rid of the 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 idiots that have it clogged up all the time. Cataloochee is getting about as bad since they turned the elk loose.

Glenn

Yeah, if you could get rid of the 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 idiots that have it clogged up all the time. Cataloochee is getting about as bad since they turned the elk loose.

I agree...

Love Cataloochee as well and when the Elk go into Rut the place gets a bit too crazy. Last year the Park Rangers were a bit too feisty as well. Couldn't even go down some of the trails to hike in because they were "protecting me" from the Elk. I think this year I will just camp in the back country to grab my Elk film and photos.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I agree...

Love Cataloochee as well and when the Elk go into Rut the place gets a bit too crazy. Last year the Park Rangers were a bit too feisty as well. Couldn't even go down some of the trails to hike in because they were "protecting me" from the Elk. I think this year I will just camp in the back country to grab my Elk film and photos.
Several of my ancestors lived in Cataloochee. I still live just across the ridge from there. It used to be paradise. Now it's yuppie heaven traffic jam drive in movie every evening. Cataloochee is my favorite place on this planet, but it's getting loved to death. I miss the days of a true primitive campground with a couple pit toilets, no camping fee, and locals only staying there. Not meeting another vehicle going in and out. Fishing all day without encountering 150 folks in Orvis gear accompanied by guides.

Glenn

Several of my ancestors lived in Cataloochee. I still live just across the ridge from there. It used to be paradise. Now it's yuppie heaven traffic jam drive in movie every evening. Cataloochee is my favorite place on this planet, but it's getting loved to death. I miss the days of a true primitive campground with a couple pit toilets, no camping fee, and locals only staying there. Not meeting another vehicle going in and out. Fishing all day without encountering 150 folks in Orvis gear accompanied by guides.

It is a wonderful place when the tourists aren’t there. Would love to explore the back country more.

whitetailfreak

Beautiful pic, I was over that way yesterday fishing Tremont. My grandfather use to tell me about walking to Cades Cove as a kid from the NC side. He'd stay at Spence Field Cabin along the divide. Every trip I take through the Cove makes me wish I was born 100 years earlier.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful pic, I was over that way yesterday fishing Tremont. My grandfather use to tell me about walking to Cades Cove as a kid from the NC side. He'd stay at Spence Field Cabin along the divide. Every trip I take through the Cove makes me wish I was born 100 years earlier.
Yep.
You know, I have never fished Abrams Creek in the Cove. I need to get over there sometime. Do any good at Tremont?

whitetailfreak

Yep.
You know, I have never fished Abrams Creek in the Cove. I need to get over there sometime. Do any good at Tremont?

It was tough, and nearly impossible to wade because of the high water. I ended up catching 8 or 9 Rainbows high sticking weighted nymphs from the bank. On my way back, I stopped and fished lower Bradley Fork and caught several nice Browns. Once the campground opens it's hard to find a rock to stand on at Smokemont.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It was tough, and nearly impossible to wade because of the high water. I ended up catching 8 or 9 Rainbows high sticking weighted nymphs from the bank. On my way back, I stopped and fished lower Bradley Fork and caught several nice Browns. Once the campground opens it's hard to find a rock to stand on at Smokemont.
Yeah, Bradley has some great fishing, but all the people keep them run under the rocks most of the time.

wvdawg

Staff member
Pretty morning - well captured.