Calabashed Crustaceans

Duff

I’d eat that for breakfast this morning!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
That plate would make me verrry happy!!! Just cause I'm stoopid-- what makes them Calabashed???

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That plate would make me verrry happy!!! Just cause I'm stoopid-- what makes them Calabashed???
Just the style of cooking them, named for the little town of Calabash, NC that is famous for its fried seafood. Lightly breaded in a thin egg wash and seasoned flour, then deep-fried.

Dub

That looks delicious.

One of my favorite meals of all time......when I get to some days off I will most assuredly be cooking up that same menu. Great looking meal.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Can you give us the skinny on your fries.. I've made home cut, real deal fries for years and I ain't (other than when I worked in a restaurant) made fries that look that good... And they turn out limber

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was looking for a pipe or a gourd, but that plate looks mighty fine.

Bream Pole

Going tomorrow to Cresent Ga on the coast and buy some georgia white shrimp from a good friend who owns a dock and 2 or 3 boats. Boat coming in in the morning I hope or sometime tomorrow. Will know time tonight. One of my favorite foods. And I like lightly floured also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give us the skinny on your fries.. I've made home cut, real deal fries for years and I ain't (other than when I worked in a restaurant) made fries that look that good... And they turn out limber
A lot of it depends on the taters. If you have some "new" white taters, you can just cut 'em and drop 'em at about 350. And it sounds simple, but cook them until they're done. A lot of people try to cook fresh taters like they would store-bought frozen fries that are already half-cooked, but it takes a whole lot longer.

With russet/Idaho taters, cut them and soak them in cold water for a good long while to get some of the starch out. Then blanch them for a few minutes in about 300-320 degree oil until they're blond, like store-bought fries. Drain them on a rack, let them cool, and then finish frying them at 350-375 until they're brown and crispy. That's the usual restaurant method.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Just the style of cooking them, named for the little town of Calabash, NC that is famous for its fried seafood. Lightly breaded in a thin egg wash and seasoned flour, then deep-fried.

Have you heard about the nation's ongoing problem with cholesterol? If you haven't, don't inquire about it. You'll stop cooking fried food and this forum will get boring fast.:rofl:

Good stuff as always.:rockon:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Have you heard about the nation's ongoing problem with cholesterol? If you haven't, don't inquire about it. You'll stop cooking fried food and this forum will get boring fast.:rofl:

I'm a philanthropist. I eat the cholesterol so y'all don't have to. :bounce:

Disclaimer: vegetable oil has 0 cholesterol to begin with. :bounce:

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten

Could it be that you have decided to die of nothing?
Not me, when I hit the finish line, I'll be scarred, bruised, broken, fat dumb and happy.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That do look good. In a former life I used to spend time in the area that you mentioned. Every seafood place from north Myrtle to Wilmington used to call themselves a calabash back then

Reactions: Dub

biggdogg

I swear you make the best lookin fries I ever did see!